We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December Camping suggestions?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
45 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
December Camping suggestions?

My boyfriend & I would like to take a car-camping vacation in late December, around Christmastime. I know to drive anywhere warm from Indianapolis will be quite a haul. Does anyone have suggestions as to somewhere that would be worth the long trip? Hiking is the top priority, but if there are other things unique to the area (swimming, whatever) we're up for that as well. It doesn't have to be super-warm- We can probably take temps down to about 40 for sleeping, though 50 is ideal.

While we enjoy camping, part of the reason we're going that route is cost, so Dry Tortugas off of the Keys is out, since you have to hire a boat to get you there!

Thanks.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December Camping suggestions?

This won't be what you're expecting, but I know that airfare between Indy and Seattle is usually quite cheap. I am not sure about Portland, but it is possible.

So I suggest the State Parks of Oregon on the Oregon Coast.

You can stay in yurts (which have heaters) so rain is not an issue. Hot showers and flush toilets are provided.

You can do some hiking at various state parks, and there is a great Aquarium in Newport. You would most likely get to do some storm watching.

It's not warm and it's not the Caribbean, but it would be an interesting Christmas! Temps would be in the 40's and 50's, which you said was ok.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
45 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December Camping suggestions?

Thanks for the suggestion- I love the unexpected. ;) That sounds like a great trip. I will keep it in mind for the future. However, since we are constrained to Christmas time (week after, probably leaving on the 26th) airfare is just not reasonable to anywhere! This will have to be a road trip... and the 33 hours mapquest says it is to seattle is a bit much for one week! I would LOVE to try this trip in the future though, when airfare is a bit more reasonable.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: December Camping suggestions?

Keep it in mind -- you can often get airfare between Indy and Seattle for $250 RT or so. Even at Christmas, if you've planned ahead and bought your tickets in September or early October (I know this from experience).

You definitely DO NOT want to make that drive in December. 33 hours is an underestimate, even if you don't get caught in a winter storm on a pass in the Rockies!

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: December Camping suggestions?

With those temperature requirements and a 1 day drive you're talking about the gulf coast: Mobile, AL; Pensacola, FL. For hiking I was going to suggest the southern part of the Appalachian Trail in the Smoky Mountains. But although the day will be nice, the overnight temps there in December are going to be below freezing.

5. Re: December Camping suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2011, 05:19