We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving in July-August

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Diving in July-August

Hi

I am looking for a destination to Dive in July-August that is guaranteed good weather and great dives. My wife works at a School so have to go in the dreaded school break.I fancied the Maldives but it seems the weather is not at its best at that time of year. I am based in the UK so preferably flights no longer then

10-12 hours. and if any tips on all inclusive packages would be a bonus.

Thanks

Andy

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving in July-August

Define what for you is a "great" dive? Do you want to see corals and fish, or wrecks you want to explore?

And forget "guaranteed" weather of any kind. If you can't settle on "generally good" weather and realize that this means you could still get hit with freakish bad luck on the vacation you booked in advance, your only real choice is to wait till the last second and pay for that privilege of deciding where looks good when you're actually headed out the door.

If you're willing to risk generally good offset by the possibility of a hurricane, then take a look at Belize. Lots of great dive places there to choose from - especially the Blue Hole -- but late summer is the height of hurricane season. If you can afford to book at the last second, you could choose between the Bahamas and Belize as its unlikely to get a hurricane in both places at the same time.

Alternately look at the Red Sea.

Edited: 29 October 2010, 20:18
London
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving in July-August

Well as I am from the UK guaranteed good weather means its at least not

raining :) I just came back from the Red Sea yesterday but in August its up in the high fortys and humid, my idea of good diving is yes corals and marine life,as my wife is a non diver I am trying to balance my diving with her sunbathing and book reading probably quite a common problem.It seems that July and August are on the cusp or Hurricaine seasons on one side of the world and Typhoons on the other,

I was thinking maybe Bali ??

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving in July-August

I don't know anything abuot Bali, other than it is surely more than the 10-12 hours you wanted to fly.

For diving among fish and generally good weather, try the Sea of Cortez, though you're looking at the same heat. For corals: Belize, Bonair, the Caymans, and Cozumel would be among your best Caribbean choices -- all with the threat of those pesky hurricanes, but most likely not. For an all-inclusive package that might appeal to both divers and non-divers some resorts to consider:

The Villas at Banyan Bay -- Ambergris Caye, Belize

Anthony's Key Resort, Roatan/Bay Islands, Honduras

If you're willing to go to Bali, you might also consider Garden Island Resort (Taveuni) in Fiji.

Never been there, but Guinjata Bay Resort in Mozambique might fit what you're looking for both land and dive activities, and good weather that time of year.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving in July-August

How about a Southern red Sea liveaboard? Guaranteed good weather and excellent diving as well, plus close by for you.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving in July-August

I wanted to add yet a second postscript to my Carribbean suggestions. The ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao) are known as the desert islands, they get very little rain. Given that hurricanes are major rain producers, it follows that they only rarely get hit by hurricanes as well. The "wet" season for these islands is October. July and August while warm get roughly 1 inch of percipitation during the months you are planning on traveling. So, I think that you really have relatively little to worry about here: "the islands of the southernmost Caribbean -- such as Aruba, Barbados, Curacao, Bonaire, Grenada, and Trinidad and Tobago -- rarely get hit by hurricanes: Bonaire, for example, has just a 2.2 percent annual risk of being affected by a hurricane, making your odds about 50-1 against a storm interrupting your vacation. " But of course, that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Life is a series of managed risks, not risk avoidance.

…about.com/od/…CaribHurricane.htm

http://www.bonaire-travelguide.com/weather/

www.geographia.com/bonaire/bondiv01.htm

http://books.google.com/books?id=VPdS7c4uiNYC&pg=PA78&lpg=PA78&dq=bonaire+diving&source=vrt&ots=ozeUDySF5D&sig=CcpWPSBcVDpHGc9Ww2gXvI4JFiw&hl=en&ei=HbbSTNTTJcP98AbCvOQq&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=18&ved=0CFwQ6AEwEQ#v=onepage&q=bonaire%20diving&f=false

6. Re: Diving in July-August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2011, 05:16