We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rafting the Border Texas

DFW
10 posts
Save Topic
Rafting the Border Texas

Has anyone raft the Rio Grande and float thru Santa Elena Canyon or Terra Cotta Canyon by Big Bend in March?

Would like to take a family trip in Mid-March to camp and raft in this area if the weather and condition is good. If not, then need to plan the trip to go elsewhere.

Any advise would be great.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rafting the Border Texas

I can't advise you from personal experience. Best I can do is to share reading about other's trips in Outisde Magazine. The float is easy. Using a good outfitter that regularly runs the river would be important simply from a logistics stand point, and now days safety as well, though I believe it is open to anyone with a permit from the NPS.. As for weather, if you wait much later in the year it will probably be too hot to enjoy.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rafting the Border Texas

Have you posted on the Texas forum?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
923 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rafting the Border Texas

Hi. We did Santa Elena several years ago. March is a good month because the weather is great, but we have been in Big Bend when you could walk across the river at the canyon. As you may know, every year is different. We used Mike from Far Flung Adventures. I don't know if he is still around, but Mike was efficient and knowledgeable. You can call the ranger station at Big Bend, too. They may be able to point you to someone. They can also tell you about the water level on the Rio Grande since they increased patrols down there this past year. We visited again in 2010. One of the beautiful places on earth. Have a great time.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
923 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rafting the Border Texas

Hi, again. Just checked my travel journal to see where Far Flung was based and if I had a phone number. They're in Terlingua. I have: 800-359-4138. It's an old brochure, but I looked around and I think this is their website:

http://www.farflung.com/

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rafting the Border Texas

I would advise against it... especially on the border because random people are being killed because of the cartel wars including Americans. I just received a travel warning from my university ( grad student). They strongly advise staying away from the border on both sides. Hope this helps! You should look into rafting the Colorado River instead.

Derry, NH
Level Contributor
53 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rafting the Border Texas

I used Far Flung a few years ago, and they are top notch. All safety/security concerns are handled. Go for it. You'll love it, as I did!

Edited: 19 May 2011, 15:16
7. Re: Rafting the Border Texas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2012, 07:19
Get answers to your questions