We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tent waterproofing

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,177 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
Tent waterproofing

Such a mundane, but very important part of a successful trip!

I'm looking for information about tent waterproofing products. What brands have worked best for people?

Thanks much!

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tent waterproofing

hi luv2snorkel61,

No doubt world well know product for camping is "NORTH FACE". We here means for trekking/mountaineering on the Karakorum, Himalaya & Hindukush using the said tent.

HT

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tent waterproofing

Do you need to waterproof the seams or the entire tent? For seams, we've used Barge Cement with success, but it took a fair amount of time and care to apply properly.

We've used NikWax products to waterproof jackets and pants using the wash-in types of their products, but obviously that wouldn't work for a tent. NikWax does, however, have spray-on and brush-on products that are designed for large items like a tent. We haven't used those particular products, but have been quite happy with the NikWax products that we did try.

Hope this helps.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tent waterproofing

collectively, i had said to use all camping gear of North Face, where you can not only tent but it is well known organization and can get all kind of camping/climbing gear.

HT

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,177 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tent waterproofing

Hi,

Thanks for the Barge Cement suggestion--I was only thinking of the fabric, not the seams. Because our tent is getting up there in age (it is 9 years old and has been used for probably about 15 weeks of camping over that 9 years) I want to do a complete waterproofing since I'm not trusting it to still be in good enough shape for 2 weeks of camping we have coming up.

I'm glad to hear you've used the NikWax wash in products since I'm also going to be doing some of that for our clothes. I have the luck of drawing huge rain storms to me when I'm camping!

Also glad to hear that you're pleased with North Face, since we'll be in the market for a new tent some time soon as well.

Thanks much for the assistance!

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tent waterproofing

Going to sound strange, but for just general application like you're describing for an older tent (my Timberline is 25 years old and still functional if you want to compare), I've found that spraying the outside with the waterproofing silicone spray stuff sold at Wal-Mart and then using seam sealing tape on the seams, keeps me dry on my annual 2 week canoe expedition to the Boundary Waters.

Of course you don't spray the roof because you want it to breathe. And since I've always rolled and never folded my rainfly, there aren't any creases in it to breakdown and leak.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tent waterproofing

Do you have a rainfly? You don't really want to waterproof the whole tent, as turk says, because it will be like sleeping in a ziploc bag. All your stuff will be damp from condensation from your own breathing.

Check rei for tent waterproofing products. I like turk's approach, but I have used seam sealer not tape. The brand I have is called Seam Grip.

7. Re: Tent waterproofing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 17:16