We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking Trips

denver
Level Contributor
114 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Walking Trips

Does anybody know what the main differences are between Country Walkers and Backroads? I know there are a few other wlaking companies out there. Did I miss another great one? Thank you.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking Trips

We did a walking tour in Tuscany with Breakaway Adventures. We were happy with their service & hotels. Our choice was for a self-guided walking tour, but guided walks are also available. http://www.breakaway-adventures.com/

Another year, we did a walking tour in the Dordogne Valley area of France with Discover France. Great service, lovely hotels & WONDERFUL food! http://www.discoverfrance.com/td_walk.html

tempe az
Level Contributor
3 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking Trips

We used Country Walkers to see Tuscany and several other places. They are the BEST!! You won't be sorry if you choose them.

A Country Walkers tour is very different from a trip you do on your own or with any other tour. The guides are always local and give you a true sense of the culture, history, and nature of the place. They are also amazing with people and help everyone relax and enjoy their time on the tour.

And if you like to hike, you get the best of both worlds: exercise and semi-luxury (they find the best available accomodations in the area and take you to the most wonderful restaurants). They usually do a 4-5 mile hike/walk in the morning, and a 3-4 mile walk in the afternoon. Most of the walks aren't a gruelling hike (although they usually throw in at least one strenuous hike in areas that have mountains). Most walks/hikes are like a stroll through the countryside with lots of interesting information and friendly conversation. Then back to your hotel/villa to cleanup and enjoy a marvelous dinner.

We're hooked on Country Walkers (can you tell?). I think if you try them, you will be too!

Louisiana, Missouri
Level Contributor
5 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking Trips

We were well pleased with the planning Walking Encounters in Cornwall, UK did for our self-guided 65 KM walk. There was guidance with flexibility, a safety net if we ran into trouble, and local knowledge of good B&Bs for walkers. Highly recommend them.

Maryland
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking Trips

It depends on your expectations. We've traveled with both groups. After six or so trips with Country Walkers, we've decided to move on. In the earlier years, we were big fans of this outfitter but the company has changed considerably. Our last trip to Vermont was such a disappointment due to shabby inns, ho hum meals, and lackluster guides.

On the other hand, the guides were an anomaly because we've always had great guides with CW--especially with the European trips. Don't know what happened this time.

Country Walkers accommodations vary widely ranging from acceptable to seedy depending on where you go. It's rare to have anything to rave about. For the price, it's a shame and they've veered away from "charming and representative of the region" to downright cheap. I think it's a disservice to their clients and they've lost us.

We will be traveling more with Backroads because they offer Premium trips with better hotel/inn choices. Can't speak to their casual inn trips because we have not sampled them. I expect they'd be more in line with Country Walkers though.

West USA
Level Contributor
23 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking Trips

Backroads has a solid reputation. I took a trip to Italy with them last October and was very happy. The guides are excellent and the locals who provide wine tastings and share their knowledge of the area...wonderful. Our trip was with casual inns...their less expensive version. The hotels were fine...one was excellent. I plan to take another trip with them next summer. I didn't book with CW as I have not heard good things about them. A friend who traveled with them was very unhappy.

6. Re: Walking Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 13:17
Get answers to your questions