We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inn to Inn walking tours

Denver, Colorado
1 post
Save Topic
Inn to Inn walking tours

Looking for reviews and ideas for self-guided inn to inn walking tours in Europe. Thanks!

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inn to Inn walking tours

We have done these with Discover France (Dordogne) http://www.discoverfrance.com/td_walk.php , and Breakaway Adventures (Tuscany) http://www.breakaway-adventures.com/ . Both companies were good. They also offer guided tours and bicycle tours, but we always opted for self-guided walking tours.

Our tour with Discover France had especially wonderful meals (several dinners at fine French restaurants were included).

Edited: 27 January 2012, 04:51
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inn to Inn walking tours

We did the Coast to Coast in England in June - brilliant. More pub to pub than inn to inn;-). We did it through Contours who did all the bookings and arranged transport of our luggage each day but having done it we have realized that we could easily have done the bookings ourselves for a lot less using this website http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/.

The walk takes roughly 14 days depending on how many rest days you want and is just under 200 miles through 3 glorious National Parks - The Lakes District, the Yorkshire Dales and the Yorkshire moors.

It's quite challenging but we were all in our 60s and by no means elite athletes and we managed quite well.

Victoria British...
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inn to Inn walking tours

My friend and I try to take a week long hiking trip in Europe every September. So far we have been to Ireland, Croatia, Corsica, Sardinia, Czech Rep, and Turkey. Our favourite tour company by far is On Foot out of the UK. Each of our trips with them has been great and they have exceeded expectations. We prefer to stay in small villages or out of the way places and we are avid hikers. We were not impressed by Hooked on Hiking who advertised as being a little more upscale than On Foot and were just the opposite. Some operators send you out with bad maps and even worse cel numbers and are not interested in your progress. On Foot knows exactly where you are each night and their maps and directions are excellent. They have actually walked the routes and the on the ground people are actually there for you. Hiking in Europe is a blast. Its the best way to see the countryside and the little hidden gems most tourists never see. We have met some wonderful people on our journeys.

Kansas
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inn to Inn walking tours

Hi, I was glad to see your opinions on Breakaway Adventures and would appreciate a little more detailed info about them, if you would be so kind. Did they live up to the service and experiences they promoted? Did they disappoint you in any way? How would you rate the accommodations and food--good, excellent or what? Do you think they delivered an appropriate value for the money? Also important: if something on the tour went wrong, did they strive to make it right for you?

They appear to offer exactly the kind of travel experience I am looking for, but I am completely unfamiliar with them. I would appreciate your opinions! Thanks.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inn to Inn walking tours

On our trip with Breakaway Adventures, the maps & directions could have been better. But that was several years ago. Some companies even offer GPS rental nowadays -- not sure about them.

On a couple of days, we woke up to heavy rainstorms (one day with thunder & lightning). on those days, 0ur on-the-ground representative let us ride along with our luggage to the next destination instead of trekking through heavy downpours, and then he arranged early check-in at the lodging. Luggage pickup was usually at about 10 a.m. -- we just had to leave it at the hotel desk by then & set off on our trek whenever we wanted. Accommodations were very good, breakfast was always included, only a few dinners were included. The prices were relatively low -- very good value for money.

The local agent did go above & beyond at the outset of our trip. The trip itinerary had us take the train from the Florence Airport -- I actually emailed to ask about details & was told it would be no problem -- that the train station was at the airport & we could just get our tickets then. But when we got there & completed making our report for lost luggage (not Breakaway's fault), we found out the last train to our destination had left an hour or so previously -- they only had one or two a day to that town! So, the helpful clerk at the airport information desk called the local Breakaway phone number that we had been given to report the problem (we didn't speak Italian much past ordering a meal). The local agent went out of his way to come to Florence, pick us up & take us to the village where our tour was to start. I don't think he even charged for that (if he did, it wasn't over 20 euros). But it sure saved a trip that could have started out with a disaster!

So, the "disappointment" was in the lack of assistance or actually faulty information we got about getting to the town where our tour was to start. I'm a lot more savvy about this now, and probably would check out the train timetables & make alternate arrangements in advance, if necessary.

I do think the quality of your experience will be somewhat affected by your local agent -- but for a self-guided tour, we didn't have a lot of contact with our guy (except for those rainy days). As I said, he went above & beyond, IMO. We tried to tip him when we saw him for the last time, but he wouldn't accept it.

I would probably use Breakaway again for a similar trip.

Kansas
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inn to Inn walking tours

THANK YOU for all the info on Breakaway Adventures! I was particularly interested in how they handled the problems you encountered; in my opinion, that's what sets a tour operator apart from the rest.

washington dc
Level Contributor
26 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inn to Inn walking tours

My husband and I have used ATG on several times for self-guided walking in Italy and Spain. They were very good, the maps were good, the on ground support was great, and the accommodations were usually pretty good (in some of the towns, there were not a lot of options). They do a good job keeping you off roads, in beautiful areas, and we ended up seeing lovely small villages we otherwise would not have visited. Highly recommended.

Kansas
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inn to Inn walking tours

Thank you for the recommendation!

Barb

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inn to Inn walking tours

Two friends and I did an inn to inn trip to Romania, actually more like B&B to B&B. We Loved it. I wanted adventure and got it. Very warm and hospitable, hearty food, home made cheese and sausage, milk from the cow out front. We hiked in the mountains of Transylvania, not too difficult. We went in Sept and often would see no other hikers, or maybe once a day. Not at all luxurious (who'd go to Romania for luxury?) but really interesting. I think the company might have been Hidden Trails or Backroads.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
4 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inn to Inn walking tours

Are you interested in doing it in the mountains? Austria has awesome hut to hut hikes you can do on your own. The huts are more like Inns if you ask me! There are hundreds of these huts all over the country and you can book them in advance with meals. Beautiful!

Get answers to your questions