We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Storm chasing

uk
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Storm chasing

I went storm chasing this year in America with Extreme Tornado Tours, before booking this trip for me and my husband I was really not sure what to expect and what company to go with as this holiday was what he had always wanted to do. My husband decided on who we went with, great ok I'll find out more info on trip advisor about them and get some tips! No, nothing so it was lets go and see what it's all about! FANTASTIC is all I have to say if you ever think about doing it just go, this was one of the best holidays we have ever had, the tour guides and other people on the tour make it, we made some great friends that we will keep in touch with and are even going to see in October and we are going back again next year. I was not into weather and stuff so did a little research before I went but they cover everything and teach you how to read the storms so if you wanted to chase by yourself another time you could. All the accommodation we had was good, comfy and clean, some days we drove miles and did not get to our rooms till 2am but all you wanted to do was carry on chasing. If anyone has any questions with regards to this type of holiday please ask away as I'll be happy to help as i had loads of questions before I went but couldn't get the answers to on trip adviser.

Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Storm chasing

this is awesome ... i've been looking around for a reliable, seemingly unbiased review and they're tough to find despite how a lot of these tours seem to sell out

i'm considering going on one of these with a couple friends next year!

did you see a tornado on yours if so how close did you get?

did you get close to any crazy hail?

if you didn't see either of these what was the wildest thing you saw weather wise

uk
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Storm chasing

We saw some awsome out of this world weather. We went with open minds and me just tagging along with my husband am now hooked and want to go back next year. We went end April start of May and got to see a funnel cloud grow to 70% right in front of us and when I say right in front I mean 80ft away, at the same time we also had three other clouds trying to form tornados round us. When having to race away due to a wall cloud coming in we also had debris of small branches flying across the road in front of us.

We got to see loads of hail from golf ball to baseball size, a few tours after ours had one window blow out in each tour van due to hail, ours just smashed the wing mirror.

When we first arrived we had around 5 days of clear blues sky's so the tour guys ask what and where you want to go, even on non chase days we had a blast, we had two guys from Canada on our tour which we made great friends with, i've never seen my husband cry with laughter so much before.

When the weather changed we just chased all the time, from morning till some nights 1am but you just want to keep going, the night chasing is really cool. On every chase day we got to see cloud formations that will take your breath away, torrential rain, winds you name it you see it. With regards to seeing tornados it's really pot luck. My husband choose Extreme Tornado Tours due to watching Reed Timmer on the Discovery programme, he said if anyone will get to see a tornado it will be him, a lot of the time you follow Reed while chasing, the other thing with Reed and his tour is that they will get as close as you want to get (but still keeping your safety in mind), we had one guy on our tour that has been three times before with other companies and only ever seen 1 and 1/2 tornados so it's really being in the right place at the right time. It's when you travel the miles you do and the meteorologist put's you right under the cloud you know they know their stuff. Hope this helps. Shanda one of the tour guides posted on utube 12min footage from this years tour, the link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s7G6ylb1YA if the link does not work search in utube Extreme Tornado Tours 2012.

Portsmouth, United...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Storm chasing

Hi,

have been doing some research myself but would like to know how you got on with insurance...did xtremetours have insurance or did you have to arrange it yourself..was it expensive?

uk
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Storm chasing

Hi, I arranged my own travel insurance. I get annual travel insurance via my bank account package with Natwest. I looked at a few insurance companies online but thought I would see how much extra Natwest charge to add this type of holiday to my policy.

I was really lucky, when I called Natwest I explained what type of holiday it was (which did confuse the person I was speaking to as he had never heard of this type of holiday), he kept me holding on the phone for a bit why he spoke with the underwriting team, he then asked me for dates of travel the name of the company I was going with and website details, I was then put on hold again for about 5 mins and he came back and said as I’m going with an organised registered company I did not have to pay any extra to be covered, I was covered under my normal policy. If I was hiring my own car and chasing myself then I would not be covered. He said all the information I provided and confirmation from the underwriting team that I would be covered had been saved against my details. I called Natwest a week before I was due to depart, just to double check and yep they confirmed all details that I was covered and dates of my original call.

5. Re: Storm chasing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions