We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming with Dolphins who aren't kept in captivity

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming with Dolphins who aren't kept in captivity

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of anywhere (and I mean anywhere in the world), where you can swim with dolphins who aren't kept in captivity. Are there places that exist where dolphins freely come and go because they enjoy the interaction with people and the food they are being given?

Thanks!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,970 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming with Dolphins who aren't kept in captivity

welp, i can tell you this: about 10 years ago, we went to the big island of hawaii and paddled a sit-on-top kayak to the captain cook memorial (it's a snorkeling spot)... anyway, as we were paddling along, dolphins were swimming along side our boat....

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming with Dolphins who aren't kept in captivity

Was in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa in February this year. Up north there is this area called Mabibi beach - dolphins frequent this bay area and there are days you can see them off the coast. We went on a boat trip just a mile or so into the ocean and we could spot dolphins where the wave started to form....jumped off the boat and we swam along with these gorgeous creatures...was an experience of a lifetime :)

3. Re: Swimming with Dolphins who aren't kept in captivity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 December 2012, 23:12
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,604 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming with Dolphins who aren't kept in captivity

Hi Wild;

I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with the posting guidelines regarding the participation of business representatives, as your post is in violation of them.

tripadvisor.com/help/Can_I_sell_or_promote_s…

Best Regards

Bimini
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming with Dolphins who aren't kept in captivity

Thanks a lot Rescue Team. I wasn't familiar with the guidelines. I asked for my post to be removed.

Cheers

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming with Dolphins who aren't kept in captivity

Thanks for the info though. Looks like you guys have a really nice thing going.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming with Dolphins who aren't kept in captivity

It's possible in New Zealand at Kaikoura and Bay of Islands. But if the pod has babies the don't allow you to swim with them.

Brazil, Indiana
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming with Dolphins who aren't kept in captivity

Thanks for the info guys. Must try this,

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimming with Dolphins who aren't kept in captivity

To anyone else who is interested, I have also come across some tours in Oahu, Hawaii who take you out in a group of 6 to swim with pods. It's in the area of Waianae.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
98 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimming with Dolphins who aren't kept in captivity

I thought it was illegal in the U.S. to swim with wild dolphins. It would fall under the category of "harassment," which is prohibited by the Marine Mammal Protection Act.

Get answers to your questions