We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropical Adverture Getaway (Costa Rica, Jamacia, etc?)

Stoughton...
Level Contributor
8 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Tropical Adverture Getaway (Costa Rica, Jamacia, etc?)

I'm looking for a place to visit in October/November with my husband. We are looking for a destination where we can surf, hike, and relax on the beach. My first thought is Costa Rica but I'm open to other suggestions. We would like to avoid any chain and contemporary hotels, rather looking for something that has great character while at the same time budget friendly. Walking distance to town would be a plus!

Appreciate any help!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,252 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropical Adverture Getaway (Costa Rica, Jamacia, etc?)

you're looking in the wrong ocean.

looks like you need to go further west----like hawaii.

kauai and/or maui mostly fit the bill, but i'm not sure about the walking to town idea....laihina and kihei (maui), or poipu (kauai) might be suitable for this... both islands have awesome hiking and scenery...and of course, it's the birthplace of surfing.....

oct/nov is kinda the off-season, so you should be able to get some decent deals.... my niece got a place at "the cliffs" in princeville for about $700 for 6 nites this coming summer.... i've stayed at the cliffs recently (see my review) and i can assure you, it's great..... other options are renting a condo, stay in a B&B or stay in a place such as the kiahuna plantation at poipu (see my review)..... in fact, i would say that is the place you wanna stay....

if you consider hawaii for your vacation, get these books to help you plan:

http://www.hawaiirevealed.com/

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropical Adverture Getaway (Costa Rica, Jamacia, etc?)

October is rainy season for Costa Rica, likewise for Jamaica. There are supposed to be good breaks happening off France & Spain during October, but it doesn't really fit your tropical requirement. And as strangetripper mentioned there is always Hawaii. SE Asia also has some decent fall surfing, but again it is rainy season.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropical Adverture Getaway (Costa Rica, Jamacia, etc?)

Gold Coast Australia?

4. Re: Tropical Adverture Getaway (Costa Rica, Jamacia, etc?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions