We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need adventure honeymoon suggestions!

Delaware
Level Contributor
36 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Need adventure honeymoon suggestions!

Hi!

We will be going on our honeymoon the end of May 2014. We like adventure vacations and don't want to lay on a beach the entire trip. We get bored just laying around so we want to have a little bit of down time but lots of activities to keep us busy. We went to Costa Rica last year and had a great time! We can either leave right after the honeymoon and fly out of San Francisco or leave a week later and fly out of Philadelphia/New York area.

I thought about Thailand but May is too rainy to go there. New Zealand and Australia are too far.

I'm thinking Africa (even though it's farther than I'd like) but it all seems so overwhelming! I'd love to do a Safari and maybe a few days in mauritius (there seems to be a lot to do there! )

Budget wise, we have miles to use for flights so that helps. I really want to try to spend under $600 for the both of us a day and would like to do 10 days.

If anyone has any thoughts/suggestions on places I'd really appreciate it!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,039 posts
5,930 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need adventure honeymoon suggestions!

>>>>>I'm thinking Africa (even though it's farther than I'd like) but it all seems so overwhelming! I'd love to do a Safari and maybe a few days in mauritius (there seems to be a lot to do there! )<<<<<

Its really not. Go spend some time on the South Africa forum here on Tripadvisor and read up on the Safari options and other great places to visit. Cape Town is one of our favorite 5-6 cities in the world and Blyde River Canyon, the third largest canyon in the world, is another great place to consider visiting in addition to what is probably our favorite safari park in Africa, Kruger National Park.

In the end, planning becomes quite simple in South Africa because you have unlimited options, you can arrange tour of just do it all yourself, independently, just like going to San Francisco or NYC/Philly, both of which are very good options as well.

Here are some South Africa sources we have created on TA that might help you think about making a trip there.

Kruger National Park (Self-drive vs. Private Reserve)

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Cape Town Top Attractions (Our Top Attractions)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i32409-Cape_Tow…

Panorama Route – Blyde River Canyon

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i30411-Panorama…

Blyde River Canyon

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g312628-d317…

Hope this is helpful.

Edited: 05 June 2013, 12:11
2. Re: Need adventure honeymoon suggestions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 18:36
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,756 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need adventure honeymoon suggestions!

Big island of Hawaii for lots of adventure if you won't want to travel too far. :)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need adventure honeymoon suggestions!

Hi, if you're real adventurers, I'd also add Namibia on to South Africa. It's still very easy to self drive, incredibly beautiful, and has some fantastic hiking, kayaking and numerous amazing outdoorsy activities. With your budget you could do an incredible road trip, combining hiking in the Nakluft Mountains (I was with someone there who picked up a stone axe head that had just been lying around on the ground- blew my mind), the sand dunes as Sossusvlei (maybe even a balloon flight), Swakopmund-canoeing with dolphins, amazing birds, duneboarding on the sand, safari in Etosha, hiking in the Waterberg. Amazing. South Africa is also very special, so I wouldn't rule that out either.

Alexandra Matts- Travel Director- Extraordinary Africa

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
531 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need adventure honeymoon suggestions!

Thanks for great thought about Africa. Now lets split it.

East Africa for safaris, adventures and beaches. here i mean you can get an East African visa for $100 and enjoy. game drives, Gorillas and Chimps trekking, White water Rafting and Kayaking on the mighty Nile. Villages walks ect.

6. Re: Need adventure honeymoon suggestions!

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 April 2014, 11:35
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need adventure honeymoon suggestions!

Hello

How about Nepal? Nepal is one of the most beautiful countries in the world for adventure holiday and cultural tour.

8. Re: Need adventure honeymoon suggestions!

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 18:44
London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need adventure honeymoon suggestions!

Think Switzerland – it is your honeymoon, it has to be romantic. Switzerland boasts of incredible beauty, here you can lazily stroll the serene villages and sip hot cocoa inside the warm indoors, while looking at the sizzling Swiss mountains.

And if you want adventure and action, the Swiss Alps offer myriad exciting options especially in summers like ice climbing, glacier skiing, bungee jumping, paragliding and sky diving. Moreover, you can relish river rafting on the river of Luütschine, Simme and Saane, as well as canyoning in the ravines of Grimsel and Saxetet.

10. Re: Need adventure honeymoon suggestions!

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 08:15
Get answers to your questions