We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Botswana Safaris

Egham, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Botswana Safaris

Trying to arrange a safari to Botswana is driving me nuts.I am a semi professional photographer travelling solo. I have my dates (5-22 November 2013), I know where I want to go, the Linyanti / Savuti area. I'd prefer to stay in lodges or permanent camps so I can concentrate on the photography. I need time on the ground for the photography.so whats the problem?

A) fly in safaris are a problem because of weight, I'm a big one and over the 95kg weight limit for passengers plus my photographic equipment takes up all my 20kg baggage allowance so I have to buy an extra seat adding to the expense.

B) why do they keep bouncing you all over the country?

C)I'm having trouble getting time on the ground,I am being quoted 7 days (read 5days on the ground) or 9 days (read 7) I can't seem to find anything longer. Botswana's a long way to go for a week!

D) I know Botswana's expensive but the prices I'm being quoted are making my eyes water!

E) I have a resonable budget for this trip but trying to get value for the price.

Anybody got any ideas?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,266 posts
5,504 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Botswana Safaris

Hello Pathfinder700,

I would highly suggest researching and posting directly to the Botswana forum. It is fairly well supported by a lot that sort of take care of the South Africa, Namibia and Botswana forums collectively so I'd repost there. Here is the link if helpful.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g293766-i9284-Bots…

Good luck with your research and hope you find the information you are looking for.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Botswana Safaris

Hello..I have done 3 trips to Botswana in recent years...a combination of self drive and flying into more remote camps. We found Vanessa at Wild Frontiers in Johannesburg , to be very helpful. For a treat try to stay 2 nights in a lodge called Meno a Kwena a few hours east of Maun. My open air shower was on a cliff top looking down at herds of elephants just below at the waterhole. Great ambience .great for photography too . Botswana is geared to upmarket tourism . There are cheaper places but if you get to the Caprivi strip I think Nkasa Lupala is the best place I have ever stayed. Namibia is much cheaper.

Have a great trip.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Botswana Safaris

here's what we did:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g297318-d157…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g297318-d502…

it's prolly not exactly what you're looking for, but it worked for us... we went on a tour, so the photo op's you're looking for ain't there, BUT, if you hire a 4WD, i think you'll have many photo op's on your own terms...

hope this helps!

portland
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Botswana Safaris

Pathfinder700,

If you figure this out, will you post the information? I'll be in South Africa in May/June 2014 and would like to spend a couple of weeks in Botswana. Like you, I have a reasonable budget but would like flexibility in traveling and time on the ground.

Thanks,

Julie

1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Botswana Safaris

Hi Julie/Pathfinder 700

If this helps at all we have lodge to lodge accomodation at a rate of US$50 per person sharing all across Botswana at selected quality lodges?

Samantha V for Totally Wild Botswana

6. Re: Botswana Safaris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2015, 05:17