We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing for cold trekking + warmer travels - too much stuff?

London
Level Contributor
400 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Packing for cold trekking + warmer travels - too much stuff?

Hi,

I will be visiting Nepal and hopefully doing Annapurna or EBC in March/April, now given i will also be in SE Asia beforehand, I am a little confused as to how big a pack i take, as the lists online for trekking say AC are long and weighty, and items i would not be taking to just pack for a trip in SE Asia e.g. Thermals, down jacket, trek pole and maybe sleeping bags

I was keen to take guidance from anyone on this

At the moment i have a 60l bag, and a 15l daypack, (attach to one another), but i dont think this is big enough, and with most sites, saying to travel even lighter generally, i feel i would be carrying too much if got another big bag?

any comments / assistance would be appreciated

thank you

Mark

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
666 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing for cold trekking + warmer travels - too much stuff?

I would think the packs you have should be enough, especially if your sleeping bag is very compressible, or if you can strap it outside of your pack. Can you store your SE Asia clothing at a hotel in Kathmandu while you are trekking?

You didn't mention your exact travel details, so I'm just remembering what we did on a trip some years back -- we trekked in the Everest region for about 2 weeks, then spent 3-4 days on the beaches in Thailand. We stayed in a hotel in Kathmandu one night before flying to Lukla, and returned to that same hotel for one night after the return flight. The hotel stored bags for us during the 2 week interim.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
6,046 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing for cold trekking + warmer travels - too much stuff?

One thing to keep in mind, things like t-shirts,sandals, shorts (assuming you are not really big or tall) are pretty cheap and easy to come by in places like Thailand, Vietnam, etc. So you could add more hot weather gear once your arrive, just bring a couple of sets to start off with.

March & April are some of the hottest times of year here in SE Asia, with temps getting into the low 40s C.

You might also try posting on the Nepal forum for more details, but you maybe able to pick up some used cold weather gear you arrive in KTM to decrease the amount you are hauling from home.

3. Re: Packing for cold trekking + warmer travels - too much stuff?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions