We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do, see in Germany, Cambodia and Vietnam

Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
What to do, see in Germany, Cambodia and Vietnam

Hi everyone,

so i'm planning a 2 month holiday with my partner and need some ideas on where to go, what to do etc. a bit about us to help with ideas.. we like off the beaten track stuff, cultural experiences and adventure (hikes, adventure activities etc)

We will be driving around Germany and maybe Austria for around 3 weeks, starting in Munich and would like to end in Berlin. i have a couple of planned (kinda touristy) stops in between but want to know if there are any towns or things to do along the way. we will have a car so can pretty much go anywhere.

we will also be travelling to Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand afterwards. now this is where I am most stuck.. should we do a tour? or do it ourselves? and if so where should we go? I really want to experience the culture and would love to do a homestay too and anything adventurous or eye opening. Thailand will be our last stop before we head home so am thinking I will do a few nights in Bangkok, the spend a week in koh samui or similar.

thanks for your ideas!! :)

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do, see in Germany, Cambodia and Vietnam

You might try posting individually in all your destination's forums, as well as doing some searches there, as they already have a ton of practical information along the lines of your query.

As a Thailand enthusiast, I would say your Bangkok plus Samui plan is about as far from your "off the beaten track stuff, cultural experiences and adventure" desire as you can get. Without knowing where you live, Bangkok is just another big city and Samui just another beach. If you want to experience Thailand culture head up north to Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai, if you want some beachtime, try one of the smaller less developed Thai islands.

DIY vs guided tour, you will see feedback from both sides. SE Asia in general is pretty easy to get around, but traveling on your own only allows to you see things. Having a guide helps you understand things from a local's perspective.

There is no need to book a full three country package, but joining some daytrips with a knowledgeable guide at each destination will open up much more understanding of the area.

Edited: 26 January 2014, 03:08
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,280 posts
5,508 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do, see in Germany, Cambodia and Vietnam

Does this mean you will have 3 weeks in Germany/Austria and then 5 weeks for Thailand/Cambodia and Vietnam?

If this is correct, I think you will need to reduce your travel ambitions in SE Asia. Cambodia and Vietnam are not easy to travel around, especially if you visit during the rainy season. You need considerable time just to move from one place to the next. Usually people spend no less than 2 weeks going North to South or the other way around in Vietnam and many people use up the full 1 month visa before they leave, entering into Laos, China (in the North) or Cambodia (in the South). I believe you should probably plan something like the following.

4 weeks - Thailand, 1 week in Cambodia

or

3 weeks Thailand, 1 week in Cambodia and 1 week in the southern end of Vietnam around Ho Chi Min City and the Mekong Delta. A good alternative to this would be to replace the 1 week in southern Vietnam with a week in Malaysia. Do also consider adding Singapore to your list of places to visit in this part of SE Asia. It is a genuinely unique destination (but pricey).

Hope this is helpful.

3. Re: What to do, see in Germany, Cambodia and Vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 05:19