We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealand

penguin tasmania
Level Contributor
9 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
New Zealand

Hi all,My wife and myself are going to New Zealand at the en of the month and aam wanting to know if there is anywhere around Queenstown or Christchurch where we can go to a Hangi to experience true maori culture.Even if it a couple of hours drive from both these places.Thank you for any help you can give.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
6,181 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Zealand

You might try posting your question on the Queenstown and Christchurch forums. The local experts there can probably steer you in the right direction. I only know of opportunities on the North Island.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
62 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Zealand

To be honest your in the wrong Island there is very little culture of that in the South Island, although you could visit one of the Maraes in Christchurch City, but nothing in Queenstown. However if visiting Auckland or Rotourua there should be some form of tour type there.

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Zealand

Hi blueboy84,

If you'd like to experience some Maori culture, I think Rotorua in the South is a better choice. You could head to Tamaki Maori Village. It's $110/pax I think. And buffet dinner and transport is included :)

4. Re: New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions