We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Camping around Seattle

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Family Camping around Seattle

Hello!

So, my French husband has never been camping, growing up his parents had and still drive an RV where they visited other countries, but he has never slept in a tent out in the woods or cooked on an open fire. The kids are 5 & 8 and want to experience the fun of outdoor camping! Anyone know of a great camp site an hour or so outside of Seattle, not scary or too isolated?? We want to brave it, but we also want to stay safe! Thank you for any suggestions!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Camping around Seattle

Kayak Point and Flowing Lake are two Snohomish county campgrounds that are close in but lots of fun. Kayak Point is right on the Sound, not far north of Everett. Flowing Lake is on an inland lake and has a very nice swimming beach.

Kayak Point has a yurt village, which might be a gentler introduction to camping. Flowing Lake has little Adirondack cabins. Both have electricity and beds (naugahyde covered mattresses, on a bunk bed and a fold out futon couch, usually).

There are many, many options, especially for tent camping. Lake Chelan State Park is beautiful, and may already be fully reserved for this summer! Dosewallips over on the Hood Canal is also popular. There is oceanfront camping at Kalaloch in Olympic National Park. Mt. Rainier has campgrounds. Further afield, Oregon State Parks has many great campgrounds, most with yurt villages, showers and flush toilets. My favorite is South Beach in Newport, but there are many.

Don't worry about being unsafe. Camping is very, very safe. The camping crowd is a very relaxed bunch. Meth heads and others don't pay for camping spots. Your kids will have a fantastic time and make friends with lots of other kids.

Edited: 02 April 2014, 19:05
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Camping around Seattle

Thank you for your post!

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,939 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Camping around Seattle

EastlakeSeattle,

just to add onto the previous reply.

Some/most of the state parks have a separate "tent" camping area.

also, if you choose any of the state parks just be careful to understand the fire hazard where youre at. some/most of them will have some type of signage showing the fire danger, so if its "high"="red" no camp fires are allowed.

if you really want to rough it, you can hike in and camp. but i would find a place that is somewhat warm and no chances of snow. the only issue is that you have to hump all your stuff in/out.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Camping around Seattle

RC, I think we'll hold off on the hiking and camping until we're more experienced. I think we're looking for somewhere we can drive up, park and pitch our tent. My husband is threatening to sleep in the car!

Ainwa, just read that comment about Meth heads...yes we are concerned about that and other scary characters/animals - watched too many horror movies growing up in the 80s!!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Camping around Seattle

LOL, ainwa is completely correct about safety :-) We don't tent camp, we are RVers, but in many years I don't think I've ever seen anything worse than a group who have perhaps imbibed in a few too many Budweisers and are being noisy and singing off key!

State parks are patrolled by rangers - private campgounds are watched over by managers and owners. Campgrounds also tend to be self-policing in that nobody wants 'shady characters' wandering around causing trouble. There will be lots of families camping.

Have you also posted on the Washington forum?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Camping around Seattle

Half-Brit, that's really nice to know. We moved to Seattle about 8 years ago from Paris (I'm from the East coast originally) so we're not too familiar with WA. We only know that it's huge and beautiful. I'll look into posting on the WA forum as I would love to get exact campgrounds that are fun for families with young kids and wimpy parents. Thanks!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Camping around Seattle

You should start watching the WA forum! Since you've lived here 8 years, it is time to get to know your state. Lots of helpful information is shared over there.

Do check in to yurt and Adirondack cabin camping. I have non-camping relatives and it is a pretty good bridge to the camping world. The kids will love it.

Plus, they do have deadbolt locks on the doors. But you really will be safe!

A few other parks to look at for tent camping: Deception Pass on Whidbey Island (take the kids to Fort Casey on the way there), Fort Worden (take your French fellow into Port Townsend to browse the village), or Washington Park, owned by the city of Anacortes (fantastic views, great swim beach for kids).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Camping around Seattle

Yurts are a good idea, also check out the camping cabins in nearly all KOAs:

www.koa.com

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Family Camping around Seattle

We did the big drive down from Seattle along the coast to SF!! That was awesome! WA is a great state, hopefully the kids will grow up to appreciate all the outdoor beauty. Will check out those ideas, thanks again!

10. Re: Family Camping around Seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions