We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip on rv to National parks HELP!

Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Road Trip on rv to National parks HELP!

We are 62yrs old,love adventure, hiking, unique eats, wineries. Plan to travel in a 5th wheel from michigan to Glacier NP,Olympic,crater lake,Yellowstone,grand Tetons,and badlands National Parks before returning home. Hope to take 2 or more months to trVel,and would appreciate any thoughts on reservations, where to go and special place within these national parks. Do we need to try to reserve in the parks? We stayed in 5 different NP 2 yrs ago and love the park systems and people we met.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip on rv to National parks HELP!

check with the road trips forum, and the local forums for each of your destinations.... the outdoors forum tends to be a bit dead.......

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,457 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip on rv to National parks HELP!

If you are doing this in the summer, you will need to have some reservations, especially at the busier national parks. Learn about each park you are interested in at http://www.nps.gov/index.htm

Don't forget, there is also Cascades & Rainier in Washington state; Devils Tower in WY, and Custer state park and Mt. Rushmore in SD. And if you wanted to see another cool national park just a bit south of OR, into CA is Lassen. Happy travels! :)

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip on rv to National parks HELP!

Yes, best to have reservations in the national parks.

In the Grand Tetons NP only Colter Bay RV Park & Headwaters RV take reservations:

nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

In Yellowstone, only Fishing Bridge RV has hook ups. But you can dry-camp using generator with reservations at Bridge Bay CG, Canyon CG, or Madison CG. There are also RV parks in the gateway towns of West Yellowstone or Gardiner that take reservations. Grizzly RV is a favorite in West Yellowstone.

Good idea for Road Trips forum & each individual park's forum.

Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip on rv to National parks HELP!

Thanks for the info, I am writing down all these notes. Have heard Madison is a nice park inside Yellowstone, we do have a generator if needed. We usually dry camp and do all our cooking and eating outdoors.

Have you been to Old FIthful Inn, looking for a unique place for my husbands birthday which will fall when we are in yellowstone

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip on rv to National parks HELP!

Old Faithful Inn is amazing, especially if interested in architecture. You can sit on the top balcony with an adult beverage to watch Old Faithful & other the geysers.

Here's are the menus (wine list too;):

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/dining/…

Madison CG to OF is about 15 miles.

Edited: 17 April 2014, 20:08
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip on rv to National parks HELP!

What do you think of staying at the corp of engineer campsites? I just ordered the book, here they are usually on the water or a dam?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip on rv to National parks HELP!

Hi fellow 5th wheeler here - in Oregon. Please, please, please post on the individual states!

For example, you really need *much* more information about Olympic NP. Some roads there are NOT suitable for any trailer and some not even for large pickups!

You won't want to drive Crater Lake rim road with the trailer - too big.

Also, you need to be careful if you plan to stay in state parks as many are quite old and *not* designed for today's modern larger rigs. We have a 30 footer and there are many that we cannot fit into due to tight turns and low hanging tree branches. This is where "local" information is invaluable.

Here are the state forums:

tripadvisor.com/ListForums-g191-i3-United_St…

When you post on the states, please say the length of your truck and trailer combination as it will help people help you.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip on rv to National parks HELP!

I have only been to a few Corp of Engineer recreation sites & those I have been to are on the water: Abiquiú Lake, Trinidad Lake, etc. and had facilities. Reservations & descriptions of all here:

http://tinyurl.com/corpcampsites

I've noticed you have started to post on individual national park sites which once again is a great idea. I hope you'll join us on the Yellowstone/Tetons forum.

Edited: 18 April 2014, 16:44
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Trip on rv to National parks HELP!

Thanks all, I will go to each state forum now, ours is a30ft rockwood.

10. Re: Road Trip on rv to National parks HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2015, 05:16