We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Philippines to South East Asia

Oldham
Level Contributor
2 posts
66 reviews
India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Philippines to South East Asia

I am looking to travel at the end of May 2015 and I am now starting to get information together in order to start planning my trip.

I want to travel from Manchester to Dubai to India - we aim to be in India 4-5 weeks. We will probably pick up a tour in India as this will be our first stop and we have had limited travelling experience before this and with everything on the news we need to be careful.

I should mention we will be two 24 year old girls travelling at this time.

From India we intend to go to Nepal for three weeks. I have been to Nepal previously nursing and feel I know what I want to do in this country. I just don't want to miss anything in India, I want to make sure I see as much of it if possible. From Nepal we intend to travel over to Sri Lanka, this is a place I have always wanted to see. We may go to the Philippines from here depending on finances. From here we want to travel over to Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand and finally end up in Australia. Any advice on any of these countries or direction to good routes would be appreciated. Also we were thinking we would need around ten thousand pounds to go. Will this be enough?

Again any advice about which travel agents to use or if we really can do it on our own would be appreciated and any trips which are a must, I intend to work through my lonely planet guides over the next few weeks but peoples opinions and directives will be just as useful!

Thank you in advance!

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,302 posts
1 review
1. Re: India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Philippines to South East Asia

For starters I might suggest doing Sri Lanka to Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam, then fly to the Philippines and on to Australia. Makes for a bit less backtracking on your flights. Likewise you might try exploring northern India, then pop up to Nepal from Delhi, then back to India to explore southern India, then over to Sri Lanka.

10K pounds is a pretty decent chunk of travel funds, but really depends on numerous factors. Is it 10K per person or 10K total for both of you? Including airfare from the UK and back again? Planning on local transport (bus train etc) or flying everywhere? Nice hotels or cheaper guesthouses?

You might spend some time looking through the forums here on TA for each country you plan to visit, as there is quite a bit of information to be had there (often more up to date than LP).

Oldham
Level Contributor
2 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Philippines to South East Asia

Thank you for your reply, it will be 10000 each and I hope to have paid for my first set of flights and a tour first, I thought about coming out of India and into Nepal then back but one friend stated that they are really funny about visas and once you leave the country you can't return for so long. Have you been to India? How unsafe is it? I desperately want to go but it's a huge worry for my relatives which is why I'm thinking that travelling with a company for this part of the trip might be safer! I've started to look through trip advisor and get things together. Could you recommend anyone to book flights with? I'm in touch with STA at the moment getting an estimate for flights and things but others have said they can be expensive compared to other agents for some trips. The reality is I'm absolutely clueless! There is so much to think about! I'm slowly pulling bits of information together hopefully I'll have a good idea by the end of the month!! Thanks again for your response!

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,302 posts
1 review
3. Re: India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Philippines to South East Asia

The old rule regarding a two month gap between entries on a tourist visa was dropped a while back. But it would be best to speak with the Indian Embassy to ascertain the most current rules for your citizenship.

Can't help with recommendations of agencies for getting your air tickets through, as I am not from your neck of the woods. But I always book direct with the airlines when I travel.

India is a cacophony of colors, sounds, smells, equally overwhelming and fascinating. It has its dark side, but can be relatively safe to travel around, as long as you use some common sense and precautions. If you haven't traveled a lot, then starting with an organized tour is a good way to get a taste of what it is like before you strike out on your own for more.

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
176 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Philippines to South East Asia

I agree with MrCycling that you should visit mainland Southeast Asia first (Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam) before heading to the Philippines especially since there are flights from Bangkok to Clark or Manila in the Philippines through a low-cost carrier (Cebu Pacific) and flights from Cebu to Papua New Guinea (so you can fly onwards to Australia).

Aside from common sense and precautions, familiarize yourselves with Indians' culture esp. with how they see women.

5. Re: India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Philippines to South East Asia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 17:05
6. Re: India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Philippines to South East Asia

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 17:05
7. Re: India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Philippines to South East Asia

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2015, 22:02
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Philippines to South East Asia

Well since you have a lot of time I would recommend that you first decide how much time you want to spend in each country. Once you have finalised that you can decide where you want to travel in a particular country. 3 - 4 weeks in India is just great. I would recommend you visit Manali, Ladakh, Dharamshala, Rishikesh, Goa, Kerela when in India.

Level Contributor
1,048 posts
43 reviews
9. Re: India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Philippines to South East Asia

Hi Alex S.

As for sri lanka it's 10 days is enough to cover many if not almost everything from cultural triangle, nature,wildlife, adventure, and beach etc., such is the beauty of this tiny island where you can visit world's largest elephant orphanage in pinnawala and lions rock fortress "the 8th wonder of the world". Unique thing about it is you get almost same hot weather all year round -And some hot weather(28-32°c) to a relatively cool(10-15°c) one within just a 2 or 3 (100Km) hours drive! unless you want to spend a few days at the beach. And as for your budget pretty decent hotels are can be booked for about $50+ and if you hire a car with driver it's gonna cost you something like $60/day Inc fuel and all.. I'm sure you will love your stay in sri lanka. Good luck.

10. Re: India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Philippines to South East Asia

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2015, 05:16