We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking and Site seeing in the United States

ny
5 posts
Save Topic
Hiking and Site seeing in the United States

I've been pretty much everywhere I wanted to go, I think. Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Zion, Capitol Reef, Bryce, Acadia, Smokey Mountains, Mount Washington, etc.. I'm going to Yellowstone and Glacier National Park in 2 weeks. Haven't been to Denali in Alaska. Not sure I want to?

I'm looking for something new and exciting. I like to fly fish and hike. I'm not interested in flying to a park just to see a waterfall and leave. I don't like cruises. I prefer viewing by land and foot.

Does anyone have any unique suggestions? Places around the US I may not have thought of where I can do some great hiking and fly fishing? I'm looking for extraordinary places.

Also, I've been to many states except Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Illinois, Chicago, Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, North/South Dakota and Idaho. Are there any unique site seeing opportunities there even if its not hiking or fly fishing? It's difficult to explain my taste. I love a cup of coffee at the Teahouse on Canyon Road in Santa Fe, New Mexico but I don't care to walk around San Francisco's manhattan like area all day and be a tourist.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,584 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking and Site seeing in the United States

How much time do you usually have for your vacations?

I think you would love Alaska, but why not post back after your time in Montana? Are you just going to Glacier & Yellowstone or does this also include time around these areas? What about Tetons? Both Montana & Idaho have some excellent fishing & hiking opportunities - Oregon & Washington as well. I would think both Minnesota & Upper Michigan would have some good fishing, though not sure about hiking. Let us know more. :)

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking and Site seeing in the United States

Boundary Waters Canoe Area (and Quetico across the border) has great fishing and canoeing. Outfitters in Ely or Grand Marais/Gunflint Trail can set you up with equipment and itinerary. If you don't want to canoe/portage there are a number of long trails like Kekekabec or Border Route.

Superior Hiking Trail - 200+ miles along the north shore of Lake Superior in MN; lots of views and waterfalls and lakes.

Isle Royale National Park in Lake Superior - hike the Greenstone Ridge Trail right down the center of the island and maybe throw in some kayaking when you get to Rock Harbor.

Missouri Breaks in Montana. Though it doesn't meet your preference for hiking, it is a unique and isolated stretch.

The North Country Trail - you should be able to find a long stretch that meets your goals somewhere in the finished stretches in one of the seven states (NY, PA, OH, MI, WI, MN, ND).

The Ice Age Trail in Wisconsin (1000+ miles long when done)

Any mountain range in MT or WY or ID - I like the Beartooths and the Bighorns because they're the most convenient to me.

No fly fishing but the Maah Daah Hey Trail in ND would be new for most and exciting if you mountain bike it.

Columbus
Level Contributor
219 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking and Site seeing in the United States

The UP of Michigan is well worth a look. For some great hiking, West Virginia is awesome. The tourist industry is not as built up as in some places, but the views are amazing. Look at both the Blackwater falls area and the New River gorge.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,836 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking and Site seeing in the United States

IMO,

You have a long way to go to get board and say, "been there, done that"

im not sure about fishing, but have you thought about the Pacific Crest Trail?

There are many places in the NW where you can fly fish. i don't do that but my bro use to and i now of many that do.

something sort of cool is the Metolius River. It just springs up out of the ground. I thought it was a cool thing when i was young. For fishing i think its catch and release?

Im not sure fly fishing is okay in Crater Lake? but its a good hike down/up.

but imo, there are way more places to go.

Edited: 07 July 2014, 05:16
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,726 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking and Site seeing in the United States

How about Colorado? The entire state is interesting and beautiful. As a new experience I suggest camping your way through the state by way of RV, or car and tent, or even truck and pop-up trailer. There are good books on camping spots all over the US, and Woodalls is one of them. It's so much fun to pull into a camp spot and see what it will be like. They're all unique and some offer comfortable cabins, and even swimming pools. Colorado is a place where you want to commune with nature.

Before my husband and I had children we rented an RV and drove around the state for 3 weeks. I've done a lot of things but I have to say that was the most relaxing trip we have ever taken. We've been to CO. several times, but we took a second RV trip when we had children. Again, a great experience.

Can you fly fish and hike in Colorado? Yes, it's perfect for those pursuits.

Edited: 07 July 2014, 19:01
Dulles, Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking and Site seeing in the United States

Colorado – certainly is great for fishing, with the San Juan, Colorado, North and South Platte, Gunnison, and Fryingpan rivers the best and the most attractive. Colorado is also excellent for hiking as there is such a variety of trails available.

And Alaska - you should try this state. There is one fly-out lodge called the Enchanted Lake Lodge that provides accommodation in the middle of a lake then takes you on daily fishing expeditions to remote locations by floatplane. Hatchet Lake Lodge in northern Saskatchewan, Canada is on a wilderness island and the food and fishing are top-notch.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking and Site seeing in the United States

Big Bend NP is great for hiking. Not sure about fishing the Rio Grande, though.

8. Re: Hiking and Site seeing in the United States

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions