We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thailand/ cambodia/ vietnam

Ireland
3 posts
Save Topic
thailand/ cambodia/ vietnam

Hi, any experienced travellers advice on visiting thailand, cambodia and vietnam? Is it worth my friend and I paying the average £400 each for an approx 13 day tour from bangkok through cambodia or to take it day-by-day and do it ourselves??

Hallett Cove
Level Contributor
359 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thailand/ cambodia/ vietnam

Amanda, if you are firts time travelers - an organised tour is good: you have someone thinking for you each day.

Recently met two lovely young Irish grads who were traveling before they took up work: they were on a tight budget but admitted to us that they had already exhausted too many $$$ on wasted food and drink and accommodation because they had not planned before-hand.. We suggested they look at the youth hostel program for tips and specials.

But your 400 pound trip seems like a good deal if there are some meals included. You will get to see quite a lot whilst on the move: take plenty of photos to show your friends who might also want to follow in your footsteps

Once you get on the ground in the countries you are visiting check around, compare prices and even ask to see rooms etc before you commit.

Happy Travel...envy you, wow Viet/Thai//Cambodia

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,264 posts
5,505 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: thailand/ cambodia/ vietnam

Hello Amanda362014,

These countries can be visited independently with ease. There is a large international community of backpackers roaming the backpack trail of SE Asia. I would suggest just flying to Bangkok and sorting out your travel arrangements once you arrive. You can also sort out visas to Cambodia and Vietnam from there as well.

Do spend some time on the various destination forums to learn what you can about these destinations (more than just visa information). You can also ask direct questions for the local experts there to answer. Here are the links if helpful.

Thailand

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g293915-i3686-Thai…

Cambodia

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g293939-i9162-Camb…

Vietnam.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g293921-i8432-Viet…

Hope this is helpful

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: thailand/ cambodia/ vietnam

Two weeks, three countries is an ambitious travel schedule, especially if you are looking to do it on the cheap, as that means lots of time overlanding from A to B to C.

The package tour has an advantage with such an undertaking, as everything is pre-arranged. You won't waste your precious time at each destination looking for lodging, trying book bus or train tickets, figuring out where to go. But of course you will sacrifice some spontaneity.

If you have more time for your trip, then doing things as you go becomes a more viable option.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: thailand/ cambodia/ vietnam

With the budget you provide, you should travel in Thailand as Thailand has a lot better infrastructure, transport, hotels for your choice by traveling on your own. Vietnam and Cambodia will be harder because public transportation is not easy at all. But if you really want to experience some new, cool, crazy then Vietnam or Cambodia will be cool. Have great holiday.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
760 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: thailand/ cambodia/ vietnam

Vietnam and Cambodia are less developed than Thailand. So an organized professional tour would be best especially if you are not seasoned travelers. All three countries are beautiful as I have been to each myself.

Thailand is the most developed, and would be easier to navigate alone.

6. Re: thailand/ cambodia/ vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 05:16