We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie's adventure search - south of mainland states

Seattle, Washington
1 post
Save Topic
Newbie's adventure search - south of mainland states

Hi folks,

I'm looking to travel south of the USA sometime between Aug 26-Sep 24th for ~ 1 week.

Some options considered:

Puerto Rico

Jamaica

Bahamas

Dominican Republic

Puerta Vallarta

Hawaii

(Other)?

(Note: Cancun reserved for a spring break)

Biggest interest: exploring and learning who I am through seeing the world; a unique thing to an area which contributes to personal development. I want to see what is out there in life to experience - not just go and vacation on a chair!

Other Interest in: enjoying warm waters/bad weather ruining everything, foods, beginner scuba diving (no license), exploring the city/area, experiencing what makes "this place" special, an area with people who are easy to interact/communicate with (not cold shouldering you) during my visit to X

Not interested in: Drugs, History, museums, Dangerous areas/situations, regular-life things, hiking my entire trip to sight see in a forest, language barrier making communicating too difficult.

Budget: $800 limit on airfare each; preference to stay below $2000 with a $2500 per person limit.

About myself/background:

Likely to have one friend come along, but most likely traveling solo.

22 Male

Can Drive; strongly prefer not to use vehicles vacations but can

Only Language: English. Spotty Spanish; can't survive on it.

Caucasian/native American - sunburn prone skin but with almost no history of severe tan/sunburns.

Can't dance too well

Have a passport -- no visas in it though.

New to traveling outside states/canada

Based on what I listed above, would the TripAdvisor community be able to pass along their ideas which could match what I listed/am searching for, make a recommendation, and/or any tips/advice based on what I posted above?

Thank you!!! :)

Edited: 10 August 2014, 07:51
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,549 posts
5,704 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie's adventure search - south of mainland states

Hello EasyCheese,

You've provided a lot of specific information so it might be difficult for community members here at TA to respond to all your points.

What I can share is that we actually have destination specific forums for each of the destinations you have mentioned above. You can research them specifically and ask questions for each destination on the the respective forums. There are local destination experts supporting each. This will be a good way for you to find information specific to the places you have asked about.

Some of the places you can access by simply clicking the blue links in your original post. Or you can type the names directly into the search box at the top of any TA page and you will find access to these destination vacation pages and forum pages.

Good luck with your trip research and hope you enjoy your travels.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie's adventure search - south of mainland states

Maybe the Dominican Republic is something for you. You can go in to Santo Domingo or Punta Cana Airport. You will find cheap flights from the USA. Best place to go and safe is Bayahibe. This is on the south coast from the DR. All kind of watersport activities, nice hotels also some with no all include service. Here you will find a great mix between dominican life and turism.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
6 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie's adventure search - south of mainland states

You have to go to St. John usvi and stay at treetops. There is hiking scuba snorkeling etc

What you describe about yourself is very similar to me.

I love st john and treetops so much I have been back three times.

4. Re: Newbie's adventure search - south of mainland states

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions