We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will my North Face backpack be allowed on WOW Air flight?

5 posts
Save Topic
Will my North Face backpack be allowed on WOW Air flight?

I'm flying with WOW Air for the first time from San Francisco to Reykjavik in 2 days and was wondering if anyone has some insight to whether my backpack would fit? The backpack I have is a North Face Surge backpack with the dimensions of 19.75" x 13.75" x 8.5" and the allowed personal item size for Wow Air is 17"x13"x10". I'm a photographer so my backpack would be filled with camera gear and my laptop, and I usually put a compact tripod in a water bottle holster on the side, and a water bottle in the other holster. Has anyone had any experience with WOW Air in this regard and how strict they are with it? I've been on other overseas airlines with this same backpack setup and have had no trouble fitting it into the overhead or under seat compartments. I'd rather not pay the extra fees for a large bag, but if needed, I can bring a smaller backpack instead. Any input is much appreciated and I'd love to hear it!

Edited: 09 March 2017, 06:24
21 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,667 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will my North Face backpack be allowed on WOW Air flight?

It's oversize on two of the three dimensions, one by nearly 3". WOW is a low cost carrier that makes money through the fees, including/especially the full size carry on bag fee.

What makes you think you'll get away with it? Even if someone on here says they got away with it, if they call you out the "some bloke on a TripAdvisor forum said you let him take it on for free" is hardly going to cut it.

Abide by the rules. Either pay for that bag or take less gear in a smaller bag. And don't forget the weight restrictions too.

https:/…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,046 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will my North Face backpack be allowed on WOW Air flight?

It is always wise to assume that airline baggage rules mean exactly what they say.

Italy
Level Contributor
8,757 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Will my North Face backpack be allowed on WOW Air flight?

I always wonder

Do people print out the replies saying it's okay and show it at the gate? I'm sure they'd be impressed if we all said it would be okay

5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Will my North Face backpack be allowed on WOW Air flight?

The reason I ask is because several reviews have said that they brought a backpack about the size of mine and had no problem bringing it on without extra fees. It may be a business technique to prevent people from bringing large suitcases on without paying the extra fees beforehand, not exactly for a bag like mine that's not actually too big to fit in with ease above or below the seat.

Edited: 09 March 2017, 06:43
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,815 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Will my North Face backpack be allowed on WOW Air flight?

The rules aren't always applied, but what happens if they are applied.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,668 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will my North Face backpack be allowed on WOW Air flight?

If things go well, then you have no problem.

But what if they tell you, your backpack is too big? As it is too big you will lose any argument. But you have a lot of valuables in it! <<my backpack would be filled with camera gear and my laptop>>

If you give it into the hold, there is a risk of theft. Is that worth it?

I like to avoid risks, hence I am within the limits and travel stress free. It is up to you.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,667 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will my North Face backpack be allowed on WOW Air flight?

Phil,

The bag won't necessarily go in the hold. WOW Air charges for bags that go in the overhead bin. And he'll be charged the "at gate" fee of $99.99 instead of $40.99 if he pays up front. That's if the carry on meets the weight rule of 12kg, which with a ton of camera gear may be pushing it.

https:/…

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
23,327 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Will my North Face backpack be allowed on WOW Air flight?

as long as your bag is not packed full and there are areas of give in it so it can be gently squeezed into the sizer than you should be ok,but if full to the dimensions you state then look to have problems.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,668 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will my North Face backpack be allowed on WOW Air flight?

Thanks USBT

With all of these different items per airline, it is really getting a bit difficult.

So maybe OP should pay now USD 41 or at check-in USD 50 to avoid a charge of USD 100 at the gate. But he needs to stay within the weight limit.

And as you say, depending the type of gear, he can be fast at 12kg. Does not take that much with laptop, camera gear.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,789 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will my North Face backpack be allowed on WOW Air flight?

"What makes you think you'll get away with it? Even if someone on here says they got away with it, if they call you out the "some bloke on a TripAdvisor forum said you let him take it on for free" is hardly going to cut it. "

I always wonder why people think that asking on here helps. You know your bag is over the size limit. When they say no you have only yourself to blame.

You are flying an airline that sells seats for next to nothing...where do you think the profit to stay in business comes from? Yes, you are right it comes from that $41 to put your bag in the overhead if you plan ahead or even better the $100 when you assume "well I read online that random strangers said they got away with something like this"

Reply to: Will my North Face backpack be allowed on WOW Air flight?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted