We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas Cook - Air Tanker to Orlando

Oldham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Thomas Cook - Air Tanker to Orlando

Hi Guys,

I just received an email today advising our Thomas Cook flight had changed to Air Tanker and we fly four weeks today from Manchester to Orlando.

I've had a look on Thomas Cook website and notice you have to download entertainment to your own device, there are no seat TV's and there are no usb ports? Also, every review I have read has been terrible. I'm petrified of flying and the entertainment system last year was the only thing able to keep my mind off the flight.

Has anyone recently been on this flight and can give good feedback? I think my nerves have increased now so close to the holiday.

24 replies to this topic
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
40,898 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomas Cook - Air Tanker to Orlando

Ive no idea why the reviews of a nearly new A330 would be terrible, unless they were because of the lack of seatback IFE. The Manchester based Air Tanker has overhead screens and streaming to personal devices. You can of course just download your own entertainment to your device and that way you can watch what you're really interested in, instead of a choice of 4 films (unless you pay to upgrade for the full IFE).

If you really are petrified, it will take more than an entertainment system to take your mind off flying.

Edited: 03 August 2017, 16:18
Oldham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomas Cook - Air Tanker to Orlando

Thank you, will have to look into downloading an app on my tiny phone :)

Also, it does take a lot more as I take tablets. Entertainment system just takes the edge off and bad reviews aren't helping

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomas Cook - Air Tanker to Orlando

Ive flown on the air tanker (to Boston). The plane was fine, seats fine, food good, thomas cook staff also very nice. I didn't bother downloading the app, I just listened to music and took plenty of magazines and a book. I actually spent time talking to my other half!!!

It's not ideal not having seat back t.v. but we managed just fine! 😊

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,949 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomas Cook - Air Tanker to Orlando

Just off a Thomas Cook Manchester to JFK.

It's a bad joke! No seat back tv and the choice of entertainment from the app is worse than I have ever experienced on a transatlantic flight.

Worst thing? The crew force you to turn off EVERYTHING at take off and landing, 45 mins prior to landing.

Can't even listen to my iPod.

Get ready to twiddle your thumbs is my advice.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,118 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomas Cook - Air Tanker to Orlando

No need to twiddle your thumbs. You can read a book or magazine or talk to your travelling companions, write a letter, play cards ...

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
40,898 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomas Cook - Air Tanker to Orlando

Jeez, no entertainment or 45 mins. How on earth will the world survive!

You knew when you booked which aircraft was scheduled to operate the flight and what facilities it had. If it changed after you booked you were informed so could go prepared. You should always go prepared to entertain yourselves anyway, because IFE systems don't always work, or individual screen aren't working.

Society is in rather a bad state when people can't manage a few hours without having a screen in the seat in front. How did we manage to cross the Atlantic before seatback IFE, or before you could download films etc to a tablet (because they didn't exist either)?

First World problem.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
18,861 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomas Cook - Air Tanker to Orlando

Steve...you have to be kidding?!! Surely you can entertain yourself for 45 mins!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,686 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomas Cook - Air Tanker to Orlando

I remember the days of crossing the Atlantic on flights with just a couple of overhead screens showing a couple of films that would often break down - how did we all cope.

Even with seatback IFE I much prefer to read a good book - call me old fashioned

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,118 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomas Cook - Air Tanker to Orlando

...do a crossword or other puzzle, have a nap, eat the rest of the snacks you brought on board, play scrabble...

UK
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomas Cook - Air Tanker to Orlando

I've flown flights of 6hrs with easyjet, no ife at all, nothing.

Its really not an issue.

Reply to: Thomas Cook - Air Tanker to Orlando
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted