We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Angeles Airport or San Francisco Airport

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Los Angeles Airport or San Francisco Airport

We will be travelling to USA from Australia via Hong Kong in September next year. On the day after we arrive, we fly to Idaho Falls.

Do you recommend we fly into LAX or SFO?

11 replies to this topic
Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Los Angeles Airport or San Francisco Airport

That would depend on price and schedule for the ex-Hong Kong flight, and for the price and schedule for the flight to Idaho Falls. Are you looking for a recommendation for a city or just an airport?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
50,496 posts
1,671 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Los Angeles Airport or San Francisco Airport

If prices, and schedules are very close, based on just the airport, we would always choose SFO - smaller, efficient and a better layout, IMHO.

Good luck,

Hunt

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,427 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Los Angeles Airport or San Francisco Airport

Well Idaho falls is a bit closer to SFO than Lax And SFO is easier to navigate than Lax but you may get a better deal to lax. Do you have a criteria that you plan to use

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,474 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Los Angeles Airport or San Francisco Airport

Balancing fares and schedules would be the determining factors. If you feel there is no difference in those areas, then I would opt for SFO.

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Los Angeles Airport or San Francisco Airport

While I agree with the comments above on the respective airports one other thing to consider is are their later flights in case you miss your connection. I generally find while I prefer SFO airport LAX has lower prices and more flights to most places in the US than does SFO. If having a backup is important check the two and I think LAX is likely to win.

Toronto
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Los Angeles Airport or San Francisco Airport

SFO hands down. LAX is a zoo most of the time. Last December, we landed on the scheduled time at LAX and the plane sat on the taxiway for 2 hours because it could not get to the gate that was open and waiting because of ground traffic. Half the connecting passengers missed their onward flights. We just made it.

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,841 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Los Angeles Airport or San Francisco Airport

Surprisingly, it looks like there are more flights of shorter duration to Idaho Falls from LAX than from SFO. I would make my decision based on the ease of travel to Idaho Falls.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,188 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Los Angeles Airport or San Francisco Airport

Unless you want to book Allegiant (I wouldn't) and that's only a seasonal service, you're going to have to fly one stop to Idaho Falls (IDA) anyway. On United it's via Denver/DEN and on Delta via Salt Lake City/SLC. Both airlines use their "Express/Connection" brands to IDA.

I'd take Terriks' advice and check schedules to IDA and bear that in mind. And if it happens that your final destination is Yellowstone (a 2.5-3 hour drive from IDA) then consider flying to West Yellowstone on Delta via SLC (summer seasonal only) which puts you right on the edge of the park.

Edited: 22 September 2017, 04:59
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,104 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Los Angeles Airport or San Francisco Airport

SFO can be subject to delays by fog, depending on season.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
24,617 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Los Angeles Airport or San Francisco Airport

OK, I gotta ask:

Why do you need to fly via HKG? Why do you need to fly via either LAX or SFO if your ultimate destination is IDA? Actually, is IDA your ultimate destination?

I ask because there are other options you could consider starting from Perth and end at either IDA or some other local airport, depending on exactly in the PNW you want to reach. SEA and YVR options for example. CX flies to both regularly, for example.

SWT

Reply to: Los Angeles Airport or San Francisco Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted