We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Allocation of seats for under 12’s - British Airways

England
Level Contributor
355 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Allocation of seats for under 12’s - British Airways

I wanted to share something that may be of use to some of you ... we booked our BA flights last year for this Saturday (whoop!) from Uk to Florida and at the time I was pretty annoyed that they charge a minimum of £25 per person ((each way) to book your seats together. For a family of 5 that’s quite an increase so we didn’t pay the extra money

What I want to share that may be useful for some is I called BA to express my concern that my 3 children are aged 2, 6 and 8 and at least one parent needs to be with them. They said that their policy is that any child under the age of 12 will be seated with an adult and we will be allocated seats together 5 days before check in. Where everyone else (if they haven’t paid £00’s to book together) can check in 24 hrs before hand and select their seats

So I logged on yesterday (5 days before we can check in) and sure enough we’ve been given 5 seats together which is a massive relief. So thought I would share in case others were also worried and couldn’t afford an additional £500 for just booking seats

😀

11 replies to this topic
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
40,919 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Allocation of seats for under 12’s - British Airways

It tells you on their website that they pre--allocate seats for families with children under 12. It only means that they will seat one adult with the children or you may get split one adult one child etc but not sitting together. If you all want to be sure of sitting together you still need to pay.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,267 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Allocation of seats for under 12’s - British Airways

Very true Leylandsunaddict.

I flew LGW-BGI on Saturday I was on the second row aisle seat (27D). A family of four were split between rows 26 and 27. There was another family where mum and baby were in front of me and dad was across the aisle. He'd no doubt have preferred to have been behind where I was seated but I'd prebooked and they didn't move me tomaccomodate him. To be fair he never suggested I move.

There were several other families nearby and they weren't all beside each other but not very far apart either.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,326 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Allocation of seats for under 12’s - British Airways

LeighH, my advice is that if a family wan tot be sure that they are all seated together, as opposed to under 12's being seated next to one adult but not necessarily both, then paying to select seats is th ebest option.

If you don't mind taking a chance, and are not going to bve unhappy if you are placed in completely separate rows some way from each other, then save money. You might find yourselves all together, but then again, you might not. Under 12's won't be separated from an adult, whatever happens.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
40,919 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Allocation of seats for under 12’s - British Airways

I think this sort of post serves to mislead other families into thinking they will be seated together, irrespective of whether they pay or not, which is far from being the case.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Allocation of seats for under 12’s - British Airways

how does it add up to GBP500 ?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,267 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Allocation of seats for under 12’s - British Airways

I wondered that 2. It came to £250 for me. Unless they've got a connecting shuttle from somewhere else in the U.K. Even then would an hour be enough to all need to sit together.

England
Level Contributor
355 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Allocation of seats for under 12’s - British Airways

Was just trying to offer some comfort to anyone in a similar situation with 3 kids under 12 as they would be put with an adult (as 1 adult can’t have all 3)... not giving a definitive solution

And er.... its £500 because you’d have to book both ways!

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Allocation of seats for under 12’s - British Airways

There is likely a connecting flight both ways, making it 4 segments. 25X 5pp X 4 =500.

I don't think post is misleading at all. The family is lucky to have 5 together, but most families would be okay if separated in 2 groups, with one adult in each group. Let's not scared them into paying either :-).

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
40,919 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Allocation of seats for under 12’s - British Airways

<<l. The family is lucky to have 5 together, but most families would be okay if separated in 2 groups, with one adult in each group. Let's not scared them into paying either :-).>>

But the OP puts it over like people shouldn't worry because they'll be seated together anyway.

<<So I logged on yesterday (5 days before we can check in) and sure enough we’ve been given 5 seats together which is a massive relief. So thought I would share in case others were also worried and couldn’t afford an additional £500 for just booking seats>>

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,267 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Allocation of seats for under 12’s - British Airways

We know you have to pay both ways. You said £25 pp, so £25 x 5=£125 x 2= £250. That's if it's a direct flight of course.

Reply to: Allocation of seats for under 12’s - British Airways
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted