We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit Without Visa(TWOV) while travelling via KUL

Bengaluru, India
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transit Without Visa(TWOV) while travelling via KUL

Dear all,

The following link provides insights about the eligibility:

kln.gov.my/web/che_berne/other_information/-…

I am an Australia PR holder and I wish to book an air asia flight from Cochi(COK) to Melbourne (MEL) with a layover in Kualalumpur(KUL).I wish to spent a couple of days with my friend in KL, hence looking for a layover for more than 48 hours. The highest available layover for direct booking(single PNR) is 19hours.This would have been piece of cake ,I presume.But I am looking for 2 days minimum.

Wondering if I can make use of TWOV facility by booking separate flights(2 PNRs yet same airline) as COK-KUL and KUL-MEL with onward journey not exceeding the stipulated 120 hours?

Please suggest.

Cheers,

Rash.

Edited: 16 October 2017, 12:50
8 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
689 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit Without Visa(TWOV) while travelling via KUL

Hi Rash, are you holding Indian passport?

Edited: 16 October 2017, 13:20
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
689 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit Without Visa(TWOV) while travelling via KUL

Did you give a call to High Commission of Malaysia, New Delhi, and discuss the issue you are facing with the officer?

Bengaluru, India
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit Without Visa(TWOV) while travelling via KUL

yes Dennis, I hold an Indian passport. In theory I am eligible for TWOV or a free transit permit.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,106 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit Without Visa(TWOV) while travelling via KUL

Questions such as this one are best asked with the embassy (check the website before calling ) or check Timatic website because one has to get the most accurate info and visa, entry regulations are so specific for people from different countries that it is not advice I would trust from strangers however well-meaning we all are

Bengaluru, India
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Transit Without Visa(TWOV) while travelling via KUL

***Update***

Piece of Cake!

Here is the experience.

Had 2 different Itineraries(both Air asia flights): COK- KUL and KUL-MEL(after 3 days).

Be alert and educate the check-in counter staff in case they look surprised to see you not showing them a Malaysian visa. For some oversmartie type confrontation, just throw the Malaysian consulate's guidelines (http://www.kln.gov.my/web/ind_chennai/faqs ) on to their face- :)

After getting down in KUL, found the special counters(5 of them and only 1 was manned- may be coz it was early morning) for transit pass -It was written clearly as '120hours transit pass counter' on left most side of the immigration counters. Showed my itinerary to Melbourne and my PR visa grant letter, the officer checked departure date/time on KUL-MEL to make sure that it wont exceed 120 hours from my landing, stamped it with the date&time till I am entitled to stay. That's all!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,856 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transit Without Visa(TWOV) while travelling via KUL

>> For some oversmartie type confrontation, just throw the Malaysian consulate's guidelines (http://www.kln.gov.my/web/ind_chennai/faqs ) on to their face- :)<<

Or you could just politely present it, pointing out that your documents show that you are permitted to stop over in KL for the amount of time between your booked flights.

Level Contributor
6,055 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transit Without Visa(TWOV) while travelling via KUL

"Be alert and educate the check-in counter staff in case they look surprised to see you not showing them a Malaysian visa. For some oversmartie type confrontation"

Wow, that's just plain rude and asking for trouble. Hope you don't try and act that way in Australia, as you will soon be put in your place.

Bengaluru, India
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Transit Without Visa(TWOV) while travelling via KUL

Didn't mean to offend people who are sitting there to help us.I read some comments of ppl from India who were denied boarding just because the staff sitting in the counter weren't briefed about this policy.

If you show them ( politely, as you suggested) we have a clear way out- win win. :-)

My personal experience, the young woman attended me wasn't aware of this.She asked the staff from next counter before buying my version of Transit Pass policy.

Edited: 23 November 2017, 05:45
Reply to: Transit Without Visa(TWOV) while travelling via KUL
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted