We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French air strike ryanair compo/refund

London, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
French air strike ryanair compo/refund

Hi can i have some advice please

Booked a weekend away for my friend and i traveling on fri 6th oct - tues 10th oct i recieved a text on monday 9th at 3pm to tell me my flight on the 10th at 21.30 was cancelled.

Options were get a refund or book another flight. Next available flight was a week later!

That was not an option so looked at other ways of getting home. We chose a flight with easyjet flying out on fri 13th at 10:15am. We also needed to get to another airport to depart which was 2 hours away. This was our only choice as there was nothing flying out before these date.

I have kept all receipts and have put in for a claim, i did this when i was away and decided to ask for my refund when i got back to england as i was worried other problems may arrise.

Now home iam not sure where i stand as when i made the claim i asked for money for the new flights and transfer and compo for food and accommodation. Not for a refund for the original flight.

It will be a week tomorrow and not sure if i should follow the link on ryanair website to claim refund as it only says send in 1 claim.

I have had different people give me advise about wether i will get anything back from ryanair (as it was a strike) so just thinking may be i should just settle for the refund on the ticket.

Do i have a time limit on asking for a refund?

This has caused a lot of stress and we were not planning on staying those extra 2 days and felt really let down and on our own.

Ryanair were not available for live chat, telephone calls and still now i am home feel that they let us down.

I have travel insurance with insure and go and they have advised me to make a claim and estimate £60. As u can guess this has cost a lot more than £60.

Please offer any advice

Many thanks sue

4 replies to this topic
Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: French air strike ryanair compo/refund

As it was an air traffic strike you can't blame Ryanair. They still have a duty of care though which may include hotel costs and or food vouchers. Take it up with your travel insurer and get them to deal with it. Claim whatever it cost you and hopefully you have kept all your receipts. Your insurer will deduct any excess from your claim if successful.

Edited: 16 October 2017, 22:33
London, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: French air strike ryanair compo/refund

Thanks for your reply

I spoke to my insurance and they just said we will treat it as a dealy which works out as £60, I will try them again.

Thanks

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,254 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: French air strike ryanair compo/refund

As I understand it, Ryanair ar enot liable to pay for you rnew flights. You are due a refund of the original flight or flights that were cancelled.

London, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: French air strike ryanair compo/refund

Thanks for your reply

Reply to: French air strike ryanair compo/refund
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted