We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK Layover, enough time?

5 posts
JFK Layover, enough time?

Traveling JetBlue (into terminal 5) and second flight is Turkish Airlines (terminal1).

A Saturday evening arrive 9:55 pm, leave 11:55 pm.

I only have a layover in Turkey, won't leave the airport. I don't need an eVisa, correct?

Any advice? Helpful information?

I booked on a single transaction/ ticket so bags will be transferred. Is this enough time to get to the next terminal?

Will I leave security to get to the other terminal and have to go back through?

Leaving the country, do I go through customs at JFK or just when I arrive to the next country? I've never left the US before so I don't know what to expect.

Edited: 16 October 2017, 23:18
Toronto
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: JFK Layover, enough time?

You go through customs when you arrive in a country, not when you are leaving. Your layover in Turkey has no bearing on what happens at JFK. As for the eVisa, are you talking about a Visa for Turkey? It is not clear if your final destination is Turkey or someplace else.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: JFK Layover, enough time?

We need more here to better advise.

??? > JFK

JFK > ???

Is there a further ??? > ??? after as you mention Turkey being a layover

Fill in the blanks and we’ll help.

5 posts
3. Re: JFK Layover, enough time?

Thank you, I only have a layover in Istanbul Turkey, my final destination is Romania.

5 posts
4. Re: JFK Layover, enough time?

Sorry, I arrive at Terminal 5 in JFK and have a 2 hour layover. Leaving from Terminal 1. What is the best way to make sure I have enough time?

My questions are mainly for JFK airport. That is my main concern is having enough time to do what I need to do there.

The only question I had about Turkey was the eVisa.

I have a 2 hour layover in Turkey and will not leave the airport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
120 reviews
5. Re: JFK Layover, enough time?

Where are you coming into JFK from? That’s still unclear. Is this journey all on one single ticket?

5 posts
6. Re: JFK Layover, enough time?

I leave Raleigh NC on JetBlue and arrive in JFK

Leave JFK on Turkish Airlines and arrive at Istanbul

Leave Istanbul on Turkish and arrive in Bucharest

Yes, all one single transaction/ ticket.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
40,827 posts
39 reviews
7. Re: JFK Layover, enough time?

With your luggage checked through, and hopefully a Turkish air boarding pass, if you arrive on time you should be okay. You will have to use air train to change terminals and go through TSA security again. Bottom line go from place to place quickly. Don't stop to " sightsee", eat etc until you are on the secure side of terminal 1.

Assuming your return is the reverse you will go through American immigration the first place you step on American soil-- presumably JFK. For that you need more than 2 hours.

5 posts
8. Re: JFK Layover, enough time?

Thank you. On the way back I have a 1 hour layover in Turkey and about 5-6 hours in JFK.

9. Re: JFK Layover, enough time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: yesterday, 06:18