We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EVA Air cancelling internal flight Nov 3rd,any advice? HELP!

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
770 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
EVA Air cancelling internal flight Nov 3rd,any advice? HELP!

Booked many months ago London to Chiang Mai, for arrival on Friday 3rd November for the Yi Peng festival (largest festival in Northern Thailand). All booked with EVA Air, their connecting flight is with Bangkok Air.

Just had a call from EVA Air saying that they can’t get us on the flight BKK to CNX, and they will offer to put us up in Bangkok overnight.

I want to be in Chiang Mai naturally, so have disputed this, and confirmed I’ve paid for my accommodation and also booked a tour for 9am next day. This is true.

They are going to contact Bangkok Airways and see if there is anything to be done.

Does anyone have any experience of this or any advice please – I could cry – I’ve spent months planning this trip.

13 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EVA Air cancelling internal flight Nov 3rd,any advice? HELP!

I've just had a quick look and it appears that there is no availability on that route for any airline on the 3rd so it is a bit surprising that a flight has been cancelled at such a popular time.

As your flight is less than 2 weeks away you should argue for EU261 compensation which should cover the cost of your hotel and the tour you have booked. Alternatively (or additionally) your travel insurance will cover those costs less any excess.

Obviously this doesn't get you to your destination any quicker but you shouldn't be out of pocket.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
527 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: EVA Air cancelling internal flight Nov 3rd,any advice? HELP!

Advice is not to worry so much for now. My experience has been that they will fix it if there are flights. Is the flight you were originally on, cancelled? Or is it just you being bumped off? The reason they have to get back to you is they need to contact headquarters in Taipei for approval. One possibility is they can buy you a full fare coach on the flight you want, thereby bumping off other passengers. If that doesn't happen, can you arrive one day early? Ask for hotel for the extra day.

London
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EVA Air cancelling internal flight Nov 3rd,any advice? HELP!

Have you thought of taking the train - a night sleeper service is available although if all the flights are fully booked it might be the same for the trains.

https:/…Bangkok_to_Chiang_Mai

I think trying to use EU261 on an airline operating internal flights in Thailand is likely to be challenging as I am pretty certain Thailand is not in the EU.....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,630 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EVA Air cancelling internal flight Nov 3rd,any advice? HELP!

You have paid for first night in Chiang Mai, but airline is paying for a night in BKK, so to them in is a wash financially you are even.

As for the tour booked in the AM, very unfortunate, but such as the perils of travel.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
39,891 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EVA Air cancelling internal flight Nov 3rd,any advice? HELP!

The flight originated in the UK so is covered by EU261.

London
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EVA Air cancelling internal flight Nov 3rd,any advice? HELP!

But I suspect Eva Air would claim they have no control over Bangkok Airways and suspect they can also claim to have given 2 weeks notice.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,057 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EVA Air cancelling internal flight Nov 3rd,any advice? HELP!

It is likely that EVA air staff screwed up when entering code share flights into their reservation system. Domestic night flights to Chiang Mai are always cancelled during Yee Ping for safety reasons.

The surprising thing is they didn't figure it out until now. Finding an alternate flight that afternoon will be nigh impossible. So a flight on the 4th might be your best bet.

On the brightside, khom loi launching is permitted two nights (3 & 4) this year so you will get to enjoy one night of festivities.

8. Re: EVA Air cancelling internal flight Nov 3rd,any advice? HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 October 2017, 16:44

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
770 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: EVA Air cancelling internal flight Nov 3rd,any advice? HELP!

Thanks for your input.

There are no sleepers available, there don't appear to be any flights internally at all from either Bangkok airport.

It looks to me like the flight has been brought forward by an hour, thus making the connection too tight / impossible (25 minutes). Probably brought forward to avoid the mass lantern release which is an air traffic hazard.

EVA air didn't phone me back, so I will contact them in the morning if I don't hear sharpish from them. Not worried at this stage about compensation, but will pursue probably at some point.

So frustrating... best laid plans and all that!

Any other suggestions are welcome, thanks again.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
527 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: EVA Air cancelling internal flight Nov 3rd,any advice? HELP!

You need to do some research before they call you. So when they do, and you don't like what they offer, you can say can you put me on such and such flight.

Not sure what the issue is... would it help if you got on an earlier flight to Bangkok so you can make the connection that was moved up?

Edited: 23 October 2017, 23:07
Reply to: EVA Air cancelling internal flight Nov 3rd,any advice? HELP!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted