We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas Cook foreign exchange document safety

Victoria, British...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Thomas Cook foreign exchange document safety

Hi,

I was inquiring about money transfer option on Thomas Cook website in India, I started out the application process by filling out my contact info. Then I got a call from someone identifying as Thomas Cook employee asking for further documentation in order to proceed with my transaction, which seemed normal at the time. So I have sent my passport scan and other required documents.

Now I am worried in case this was a scam.

Is this normal process? Do they call you to request documents once you have started the online 'Send Money Abroad' process?

Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomas Cook foreign exchange document safety

I presume you sent the details to a Thomas Cook e-mail address and not some scammers email address?

On their website it states the following:-

You may be required to provide personal identification, usually one or more of the following: passport, driving licence, national identity card or a government issued identification. You may also be required to provide proof of address (bank statement or utility bill). Requirements vary by country so please ask your local Thomas Cook store or other MoneyGram agent for acceptable identification formats.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
40,902 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomas Cook foreign exchange document safety

Thomas Cook India is a completely separate company to Thomas Cook UK. What is says on the UK site is irrelevant. I have no idea how Thomas Cook India transfer money, or what company they use to do so. Check the website you used for information and see if there is contact information. If so contact them to check.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomas Cook foreign exchange document safety

My bad Leyland, didn't read the op's post correctly, just checked again on the Indian site and it appears the best option is to call them for money transfers. Although I have used Thomas Cook foreign exchange services whilst in India they do seem one of the more professional services and did insist on ID documents even for changing money.

However, as my post stated it depends on whether the OP sent their documents to a valid employee of Thomas Cook, but only they will be able to confirm this as they will have the email address of where they sent their documents.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,136 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomas Cook foreign exchange document safety

How were you asked to sent those sensitive data to Thomas Cook? E-mail is an unsafe protocol which is not suited for transmitting sensitive data. I wouldn't expect any bank in the civilized world to ask you to use email to send identification papers. If expect some web portal to be in place for that. If you uploaded it to a portal from Thomas Cook I wouldn't worry too much (if it's the case: you did check the link right?). If by email: did you send it to an emailadress belonging to Thomas Cook? If not start worrying a lot, if yes start worrying... But not as much.

Edited: 19 November 2017, 09:56
Victoria, British...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomas Cook foreign exchange document safety

Thanks everyone! The person who called me obviously got my contact info from the website where I partially filled out the money transfer form. The email address is Thomas Cook address, but that is hardly full proof. The banks in my adopted country (Canada) accept ID document scanned copy over email all the time hence I did not think too much about it. I did call the 1-800 number to inquire if it is standard practice for them to contact the customer and request documents, but the woman who answered the phone did not understand my question. She was very polite but completely clueless to what I was asking. She keep trying start a new transaction. Oh well, I will have to monitor credit for a while.

Reply to: Thomas Cook foreign exchange document safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted