We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etihad or Finnair for Ireland-Asia

Dublin
Level Contributor
89 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Etihad or Finnair for Ireland-Asia

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any advice. Booking flights for honeymoon (flying 26 Mar Dublin to Thailand, returning mid April from Hong Kong), and best schedule times are currently with Etihad (€753) and Finnair (€630, including seat selection).

Flew economy with Etihad to SE Asia last year and was VERY happy with experience, and really wanted to book with them again, but was hoping for cheaper price (they're including 26 Mar in their blackout, no sale block - for Easter I guess).

I was just wondering if anyone who had flown both had any preference, given price difference? Is it worth flying with Finnair to save €120pp?

Thank you.

9 replies to this topic
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Etihad or Finnair for Ireland-Asia

If you were very happy with Etihad, the price difference doesn’t seem very significant.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Etihad or Finnair for Ireland-Asia

I’ve only travelled with Finnair on the new Airbus A350. I could not fault any aspect, 10/10. I will definitely fly with Finnair again.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Etihad or Finnair for Ireland-Asia

If you were happy with Etihad ( not surprising ! ) I would stick with them , but check what Emirates offer.

Between Dublin and Helsinki that would be a short haul European economy class so different from the wide-body airliner , IFE etc you would have all the way with Etihad.

Whether of interest to you , Etihad also have a daily flight to/from Phuket in case you were heading that way in addition to Bangkok where they have 3 or 4 per day from their Abu Dhabi hub

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Etihad or Finnair for Ireland-Asia

“Between Dublin and Helsinki that would be a short haul Economy class so different from the wide body airline”.

Not necessarily. I travelled on a short haul flight from London Heathrow to Helsinki and travelled on Finnair’s A350.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Etihad or Finnair for Ireland-Asia

That A350's a "special" - once a day and timed to benefit the business travellers from LHR to help "Lure" them to go via HEL at a good price. All the other Finnair LHR-HEL's are A320's

The Dublin service on the 26th of March is scheduled to be an A319

UK
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Etihad or Finnair for Ireland-Asia

For me it would come down to the total travel time. I think with a short connection in Helsinki the Finnair flight would be a bit shorter as they take a more northerly route to Asia.

Dublin
Level Contributor
89 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Etihad or Finnair for Ireland-Asia

Thanks all for the advice. I never factored in the IFE - as a nervous flyer, it's a major benefit to have this for all flights. Looking again, the total travel time is similar with both, but it seems worth it to pay extra for Etihad (way less restrictions on ticket). Thanks again.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Etihad or Finnair for Ireland-Asia

If a nervous flyer then I would stick with what you know and are happy with and you have their service all the way through from and back to Dublin

If you did not do for your last trip , sign up for Etihadguest program to earn points and also once signed up maybe worth checking any offers before you book ( always nice to have the card :) )

https://www.etihadguest.com/en/index.html

You can earn miles on other airlines ( includes Bangkok Airways if you are doing any domestic flights within Thailand or around the region )

https:/…

Edited: 25 November 2017, 08:23
Dublin
Level Contributor
89 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Etihad or Finnair for Ireland-Asia

Thanks Singlouissa - I'm signed up to ethiadguest but didn't know Bangkok Airways were included. We plan to book a flight with that airline also so I will make sure to remember that. Just booked my Etihad flights! Thanks again for taking the time to offer opinion.

Reply to: Etihad or Finnair for Ireland-Asia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted