We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty

Harlingen, Texas
1 post
Duty

I am traveling to Nairobi from the US and have items requiring duty. I am stopping off in Spain for a few days. Will I have to pay duty in Spain for those items?

8 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,129 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Duty

'I am traveling to Nairobi from the US and have items requiring duty. I am stopping off in Spain for a few days. Will I have to pay duty in Spain for those items?' The answer to the question as asked is 42.

What goods do you plan to take? Will the unknown items you plan to take stay in Spain and will they be liable for duty under Spanish law? If the goods will travel to Kenya and remain there will they be liable for duty to be paid under Kenyan law?

Without knowing considerably more there is no better answer than the one above.

Edited: 24 November 2017, 17:35
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,094 posts
78 reviews
2. Re: Duty

if you have bought goods "duty free" and have claimed taxes back in the states, you are then legally liable to pay vat and duty when you bring the goods into spain. you will have to pass through the red channel in the airport. you then may or may not be charged the duty and vat. that will depend on the spanish authorities.

as to what happens when you arrive in kenya....sorry cant help you there

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,709 posts
48 reviews
3. Re: Duty

If the OP is departing the US there won’t be any duty paid there. You don’t deal with Customs on departure.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,166 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Duty

"If the OP is departing the US there won’t be any duty paid there. You don’t deal with Customs on departure."

The OP explicitly asked whether he or she would have to pay duty on arrival in SPAIN, not on departure from the U.S. - nobody mentioned any duty payment in the U.S., on the contrary #2 mentions claiming tax BACK in the U.S. (although this is irrelevant, "legal liability" in Spain would be the same whatever duties and taxes had been paid or not paid in the U.S., there is absolutely no link between the situation of the goods in one country and their dutiability etc. in another!). However, you forget that items not purchased in duty-free shops in the U.S., certainly can have been subject to U.S. customs duties, if they were not made in that country but imported from e.g. China: of course that doesn't mean that the traveller pays the customs duty specifically (let alone on leaving the country), but it is included in the price paid.

Anyway, the answer to the OP is, it depends. If you purchase new items in the U.S. costing €430 or more, this exceeds the limit laid down in travellers' allowances and they are indeed potentially liable to duty on arrival in Spain, and the same applies to items of any value that are being transported as part of a business (goods for resale) rather than for personal use (whether in Spain or anywhere else). Basically, after baggage reclaim you must select the Red Channel at Customs and declare the items, and Customs will tell you what their situation is. IF they are commercial goods, it may be worth asking about either leaving them in bonded warehouse at the airport, for collection on your departure, or making a temporary import declaration, which would be "written off" by a re-export declaration on departure - but you may well have to hire a customs broker to handle these formalities for you, which may be more expensive than just paying the duties/taxes.

Level Contributor
6,142 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Duty

"Will I have to pay duty in Spain for those items?"

Sorry, but trip advisors Crystal ball is at the shop getting fixed at the moment from a serious case of overuse. We ask that you include details of said items you will be taking, and apologize for the inconvenience of not been able to read your mind at the moment.

6. Re: Duty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 November 2017, 09:35

hudson valley
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
7. Re: Duty

Because you're staying in Spain for a few days those items will also be staying in Spain for few days. I'm sure there's a procedure for those in the import/export business who have goods that are just passing through Spain, but such procedures may require the goods to be quarantined rather than being carried freely into the country where they could easily remain. You'll presumably be taking those items with you, which means they're entering Spain just like merchandise that would be staying there. That means it would be subject to Spain's usual rules on imported goods, and I'd expect to pay duty if it exceeds the allowable exemption.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,816 posts
26 reviews
8. Re: Duty

Traveller Plus: +1

<<Without knowing considerably more there is no better answer than the one above.>>

It really depends what goods you are talking about. It makes a difference if these are consumer good for personal usage (eg tobacco / alcohol) or commercial goods etc.

Reply to: Duty
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted