We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair -Flight Cancelled due to Snow

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,757 posts
110 reviews
Ryanair -Flight Cancelled due to Snow

Was due to fly to Wroclaw from EMA at 15.00 yesterday. When we arrived at the airport at 12.15 could see the flight had been cancelled. No message received from Ryanair until 18.00 informing us about this. Queued for over 3 hours at the airport only to be told no alternative flights were available. In their T&C's it states ' re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to your final destination at a later date at your convenience, subject to availability of seats.' The next time we can fly is in March but they say you can only re-book for dates within the next 7 days. There is no availability for the next 7 days anyway !!!! Yet again Ryanair trying to avoid there responsibilities. I realise the weather isn't their fault but keeping me at the airport for 3 hours for nothing was and perhaps they could have saved me travelling to the airport too .

Not very happy as the excess on my insurance also wipes out most of my other costs too. There is only one person out of pocket for this trip and that's me.

17 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16,100 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Ryanair -Flight Cancelled due to Snow

Have you checked prices in March? It may be cheaper to cancel and rebook yourself rather than letting Ryanair reroute you.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,277 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Ryanair -Flight Cancelled due to Snow

If you could see at 12.15 that the flight was cancelled, why didn't you contact Ryanair then?

I can't see what responsibilities they are trying to avoid here. If they can't fly, they can't fly. And they are not responsible for your consequential losses, no airline is. That's why you take out the insurance in the first place, so if you are finding that it hardly covers your losses anyway, you need a better policy.

Edited: 11 December 2017, 11:16
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,984 posts
476 reviews
3. Re: Ryanair -Flight Cancelled due to Snow

Bad weather is, unfortunately, always a possibility, especially in winter time. I agree with wirewiper. You haven't bought a very good insurance policy. Have you asked Ryanair if they will give you a refund?

Edited: 11 December 2017, 11:25
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,130 posts
78 reviews
4. Re: Ryanair -Flight Cancelled due to Snow

ryanair are not trying to shirk their responsibilities! you were going on holiday NOW, so they would try and sort this out for you. the fact that you now want to change your flight to next march is not their fault or responsibility.

ask for refund.

and by the way, it is not ryanairs decision to close or open an airport, , they couldnt tell you 3 hours earlier as they honestly did not know when the airport would be open.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
41,489 posts
62 reviews
5. Re: Ryanair -Flight Cancelled due to Snow

You must have a very high excess on your insurance. Perhaps look at buying a better policy which would generally come with a low or zero excess, or at least reduce your excess.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16,100 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Ryanair -Flight Cancelled due to Snow

"ryanair are not trying to shirk their responsibilities! "

You should read EU261. If a flight is cancelled, the passenger has a right to rerouting at a later date *at the passenger's convenience*. If Ryanair is refusing this, they are indeed not living up to their legal responsibilities.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,130 posts
78 reviews
7. Re: Ryanair -Flight Cancelled due to Snow

yes,but that does not mean next year, or the year after. 7 days would be more than adequate if you were going on holiday now.. if ryanair said 7 days, then that is what they mean and the op was made aware of it, so his only option now is to seek refund and book for march!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16,100 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Ryanair -Flight Cancelled due to Snow

"yes,but that does not mean next year, or the year after. "

It means any future date subject to availability. 7 days isn't adequate if there are no available flights in that time period and not everyone has the freedom to just move their holiday dates at will. In any case, none of this matter for Ryanair's legal obligations which are as I stated above.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,757 posts
110 reviews
9. Re: Ryanair -Flight Cancelled due to Snow

I understand Ryanair are not responsible for the weather. I did queue at the Ryanair desk for 3 hours plus to make contact. I can't re- book within 7 days ( even if my leave permitted as every flight was booked up). Ryanair were good at bombarding me with emails for selling me extras but didn't make any contact regarding cancellation until more than 3 hours after it should have flown .They had two girls on a desk trying to deal with 6 flights that had been cancelled and no one patrolling the queue to give any basic information. All they announced was that you could re - book online , which you couldn't until they'd updated their system that the flight had been cancelled and that didn't happen until much later in the day. They also lied to try and get people to leave the queue saying that staff at the desk were not re - booking flights when in fact they were if possible .

I think early March is a reasonable request for re - booking a flight , not everyone can get leave from work at the drop of a hat. Lexexpress has quoted EU261 correctly and I would have thought upto 12 months would be acceptable. It's not as if I'm asking for high season.

My travel insurance is through my bank and unfortunately the excess applies per person , I may be looking to change policies or banks ....lol

southern england
Level Contributor
538 posts
87 reviews
10. Re: Ryanair -Flight Cancelled due to Snow

Was this policy purchased through your bank or was it one of those 'free' ones that come with a bank card.

Reply to: Ryanair -Flight Cancelled due to Snow
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted