We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport changed after booking international flight

Noida, India
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Passport changed after booking international flight

I booked an international flight sometime back. Now I need to renew my passport and I am wondering if my ticket will be valid or will there be any problem at the time of flying?

2 replies to this topic
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,988 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport changed after booking international flight

No, perfectly normal for you to update your passport details in Manage My Booking or at the airport. People are updating passports all the time.

There may be other issues such as if you were to be, say, travelling on a Scheme like ESTA then you woukd need to replace that too.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,692 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport changed after booking international flight

I booked my two most recent international flights before renewing my US passport. I simply scanned my new passport at online check in using the airline's app and at about the 8th attempt it took it (camera shake and light). And as a dual citizen I can choose which passport to use; I can enter one passport for API/check in and use the other one at immigration. I've even chosen which passport to use for immigration based on the length of the queue at the destination airport.

There should be no need to provide passport details at booking, unless there's some local law. It does I suppose provide a reminder that you need a passport and give a prompt to check its validity.

But there's no problem at all renewing your passport after booking your flights, or indeed booking flights without having a passport and then applying for one (local laws or silly booking site/airline rules aside).

Edited: 18 December 2017, 08:37
Reply to: Passport changed after booking international flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted