We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seat booking in advance on two different PNRs

Chennai (Madras...
1 post
Save Topic
seat booking in advance on two different PNRs

My self and my wife are planning to travel to St.Louis from Chennai by British Airways in the last week of April 2018. The booking is likely to done on two different PNRs. If that be the case will the seat allocation of self and spouse together? If the answer is not affirmative, it is highly impossible to travel for about 24 hours for husband and wife on two different seats.

Can anyone through more light on our doubts/querry? It is desirable if the answer is authentic.

Ramji

4 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
818 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seat booking in advance on two different PNRs

In terms of automated seat allocation, separate PNRs means you are likely to be allocated seats apart, being together would be a random event.

You can select seats in advance, either for free if you have the necessary status with a oneworld airline (or a flexible or First class ticket), or by paying BA.

If you don't select seats in advance, you are relying on seats together being available (which would be free) at time of check in. Online check in for BA opens 24 hours before the first flight in a journey.

If you are flying to St Louis, you will almost certainly have a US domestic connection on AA to get there. AA offers free advance seat selection. You need the AA PNR (which will be different from the one BA gives you) to do this, but you can usually click through to AA from your booking on BA.com.

Edited: 21 January 2018, 07:28
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,668 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seat booking in advance on two different PNRs

<<it is highly impossible to travel for about 24 hours for husband and wife on two different seats.>>

Sorry, the reality is, that it is possible to be separated in an aircraft, it happens to many people every day. Inconvenient and maybe on a personal level unusual, yes, but not impossible. And it can be avoided.

If you purchase separate tickets, you are not a party for the airline.

Advice: Why are you not purchasing at least both tickets on one PNR? Further, you just have to make a seat reservation in advance and if needed to pay for the seats.

What not to do: not making a seat reservation in advance and then expecting other passenger to move from their seats because you have failed to make a seat reservation and putting your priorities above theirs.

Edited: 21 January 2018, 07:38
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: seat booking in advance on two different PNRs

>> it is highly impossible to travel for about 24 hours for husband and wife on two different seats. <<

Factor in the costs of pre-assigning seats into the overall cost of the trip. Note that there will be different airlines involved so they may have different costs (BA do not fly to St Louis)

UK
Level Contributor
2,615 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: seat booking in advance on two different PNRs

My wife and son do sometimes accompany me on parts of business trips so separate PNRs is something that we are forced to do. We all have status with BA so seat selection isn’t a problem but what does happen occasionally is that our seats get changed for “operational reasons” and we get separated. Also occasionally I get an upgrade and they do not, and then I have to decline the upgrade so we can sit together. These things happen even when I call in and have them link (TCP) the PNRs.

The moral of the story is there is no bulletproof method of making sure that you sit next to your partner but paying for seats in advance is as good as you can get.

Even though it does provide limited benefits I would call in and have the PNRs linked, it may help in the case of delayed/cancelled flights if you are going to be rerouted.

Reply to: seat booking in advance on two different PNRs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted