We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paid for baggage online & then charged PHP 3000 by Air Asia!

Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Paid for baggage online & then charged PHP 3000 by Air Asia!

A few days ago I booked a flight online, through Skyscanner,to fly from Tagbilaran to Manila.I paid a premium amount with my credit card for my 20kg suitcase, but when I got to the Air Asia baggage check in they had no record of it on their system! -I explained to them I had already paid but they were totally unsympathetic and basically very rigid and bureaucratic, and charged me an outagreous 3000 PHP for the baggage (should have een 300).I've messaged Skyscanner to see if they have a record of my payment. I hope they will reply.

This experience,along with a succession of other occasions when exorbitant charges were added on(like 22% in taxes on hotel bills)-have put me off travelling to the Philippines fir good!

Paying online means I have no paper evidence I paid.

Is there anyway I can get this back ?

20 replies to this topic
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,816 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Paid for baggage online & then charged PHP 3000 by Air Asia!

<<I booked a flight online, through Skyscanner>> NO, you did not book through Skyscanner. You have clicked to a link and booked likely with a third party.

<<I've messaged Skyscanner to see if they have a record of my payment. I hope they will reply.>> Please check your payment, and you will find out with whom you have actually booked. It is not Skyscanner, for sure.

<<I paid a premium amount with my credit card for my 20kg suitcase>> You paid this to the third party, and the third party did not book this with the airline. Contact your third party.

The standard advice on this forum is always: book directly with the airline.

<<exorbitant charges were added on(like 22% in taxes on hotel bills>> This is the air travel forum. But to answer your question, you always need to check when you book what is included. Sometimes taxes and fees are included, sometimes they are not. But on most website it is very clear what is included and what not.

<<put me off travelling to the Philippines fir good!>> This is up to you. However, I would rather recommend to check what is included and what not, otherwise you risk stop travelling all together.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Paid for baggage online & then charged PHP 3000 by Air Asia!

You didn't book through Skyscanner. Skyscanner is a search engine. You clicked through from Skyscanner and no doubt to one of the numerous dodgy third parties that are well known for not booking luggage.

Your anger is misplaced. Most airlines will charge more at the airport for baggage than they do for pre-booking it. It is not the Philippines' fault that you chose to book through a dodgy third party, nor is it the airline's.

You're the one at fault. You don't even know who you booked through. Your carelessness led to the situation.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
469 posts
3. Re: Paid for baggage online & then charged PHP 3000 by Air Asia!

Skyscanner does not sell tickets. You did not purchase anything from Skyscanner. They provide links, often to sketchy third parties, one of which you chose and used to book your flight.

What do you mean you have no evidence when you purchase online? You should be receiving email confirmations for everything. Purchasing online is much safer than over the phone where it truly becomes a he said/she said when things go wrong.

Now, figure out from whom you purchased your ticket and tell us the real details. I must say though, if you couldn’t figure out where you were actually buying the ticket, it doesn’t exactly instill confidence in the reader that you indeed purchased the luggage too.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,435 posts
4. Re: Paid for baggage online & then charged PHP 3000 by Air Asia!

Air Asia is so easy to book via their website. If you had booked direct you wouldn’t have this problem.

Metro Manila...
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
20,193 posts
254 reviews
5. Re: Paid for baggage online & then charged PHP 3000 by Air Asia!

It's your fault. You didn't prepay for that 20kg luggage allowance! You can't even figure out where did you buy your ticket so how can you convince anyone that you paid for your luggage. Skyscanner does not sell tickets!

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,251 posts
170 reviews
6. Re: Paid for baggage online & then charged PHP 3000 by Air Asia!

The 1st sentence explains it all really

Perhaps the OP can come back & tell us who they actually booked the flight with ?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,094 posts
78 reviews
7. Re: Paid for baggage online & then charged PHP 3000 by Air Asia!

no matter who you booked with, you must have gotten confirmation email with all your flight details, passenger etc. also shown or not, would have been extra baggage. did you read the confirmation?

W Yorkshire
Level Contributor
5,575 posts
181 reviews
8. Re: Paid for baggage online & then charged PHP 3000 by Air Asia!

As soon as I saw sky scanner I thought; oh dear.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: Paid for baggage online & then charged PHP 3000 by Air Asia!

I’ll guess it was booked with eCrooks.

10. Re: Paid for baggage online & then charged PHP 3000 by Air Asia!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 September 2018, 14:36

Reply to: Paid for baggage online & then charged PHP 3000 by Air Asia!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted