We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get guitar home?

London (formerly...
Level Contributor
167 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get guitar home?

Hi all,

My brother is in the UK on holiday, and wants to buy a guitar for himself while he's here.

How does he get the guitar back home to South Africa though?

He is flying nationwide from Gatwick.

I am just wondering how he gets the guitar onboard? can we pay extra for him to take it on board? And then assuming he can get it on board, what happens with customs on the South African side, seeing that a guitar isn't exactly inconspicuous.

Thank you for any advice,

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,443 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get guitar home?

Check with airline and South African customs as things vary between airlines and countries. Can he not get the guitar he wants in South Africa?

London
Level Contributor
513 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get guitar home?

Well, if your brother is buying a guitar from a shop (as opposed to privately), he should get a case with it.

Here's a couple of places to get flight cases:

www.turnkey.co.uk/web/productAction.do…

www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp…

If he goes down Charing Cross road or Denmark Street in London, you can pick up a case quite cheaply.............(maybe a second hand one would attract less attention from customs)

And then check the guitar in as luggage for the hold..........I dont know what happens on the SA customs side, but personally I would send all invoices, guarantees and any proof it was purchased aborad, via mail back home to SA, and then walk through customs.

If I was stopped, I would say I left SA with the guitar and I'm returning with the guitar!!

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,992 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get guitar home?

I travel (occasionally) with my basses. I travel in the plane, they travel in a custom made roadcase in the hold. The problem is that the basses and case weight 22kg - but I am reassured they will arrive wherever they arrive (not necessarily where I am, naturally) intact.

Usually to take the instrument on board he would have to buy a seat - but check with the airline.

The other way would be to ship it back with someone like UPS as "personal effects". It would help if you know someone in SA who can write him a receipt last year to prove he bought it from SA with him.

4. Re: Best way to get guitar home?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 15:18