We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VIsa Waiver programme

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
VIsa Waiver programme

Ok, i'm not entirely understanding how this works - doesn't take much to confuse me! lol

My passport was issued in August 2006. It has a chip on the back of my photo page and has the <<<<<<< at the bottom of the photo/info page which, i'm assuming, means it's machine readable. Does this mean i don't need to get any other documents before i fly? I have booked my flights online with American Airlines have given them the address of the first hotel we're staying at. Do i need to do anything else or can i just turn up at the airport with my eTicket and passport?

Apologies for sounding dumb ;-)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: VIsa Waiver programme

Not a dumb question at all.

You are correct, you just turn up at the airport. Then either at the airport or on the plane you will be given a green I94 visa waiver form and a blue & white customs declaration form. You will need one of the green forms for each person but only one of the blue & white forms for a family. Fill the form out either at the airport or on the plane but do make sure you do it BEFORE you land in the USA. If you make a mistake as I often do, the flight attendants on the plane will be able to give you a new form.

When you land hand all the correctly completed forms to the Immigration agent along with your passports. The agent will stamp your passports; staple a small slip from the green from into your passports; stamp the blue and white form and give it back to you. You collect your luggage then as you pass by the customs agents, hand them the blue and white form.

As you leave the USA make sure you give the green slip that's been stapled into your passport back to either the airline check-in staff or the airline agent at the gate.

Oh - in this answer Ive assumed you are a UK citizen and you do not have a criminal record. Ex-cons need a visa and other rules may apply for other nationalities.

Have a fun trip.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,226 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: VIsa Waiver programme

This is the sort of thing the passport should have

sabcs.org/TravelTransportation/images/clip_i…

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VIsa Waiver programme

Brilliant - thanks to both of you!

And no i don't have a criminal record, LOL.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
624 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VIsa Waiver programme

Help needed. My wife is an American Citizen and travels on a U.S. passport. I travel on a British passport. If we have to go through two separate queues at Immigration/Passport Control, and we have only one blue and white form between us, what can we do. We are flying to USA next month.

Regards

John.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VIsa Waiver programme

I think the blue & white form is presented at customs (not immigration). If this is the case you and your wife will pass through immigration separately (she'll be through much more quickly than you!) You'll both meet up 'on the other side' to pass through customs together.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: VIsa Waiver programme

One of you gets the blue & white customs form stamped at Immigration. You meet up at the baggage carousel and collect you bags then go through Customs together and hand the form over.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
893 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VIsa Waiver programme

I don't know about the US, but when passing through immigration in Australia, family members may go through with Australian passport holders. Before my husband received Australian citizenship, he travelled on a British passport, but was always able to go through with us. As did my sister-in-law. In Europe, we use his British passport, and I always go through the EU lines with him.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VIsa Waiver programme

my partner is an american citizen with australian residency and i travel on an australian passport. when arriving in the usa we always go thru the usa citizens gate together.

9. Re: VIsa Waiver programme

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 22:17