We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety of Air Travel

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Safety of Air Travel

I know this may seem silly to many of you who fly a lot, but here goes. My family and I are planning on flying from Michigan to San Diego next spring for a family vacation. I have only flown once in my life, and that was 20 years ago. Even though I know that thousands of flights around the world make it to their destinations safely every day, I am really nervous about this trip, to the point where if I wake up in the middle of the night and think about it I get panicked. I just keep thinking that if the plane crashes then our family of four will all die and it scares me to death. I have no problem with getting on the interstate and driving for hours, so I don't know why I'm so terrified of flying. Can anyone reassure me please?

Thanks!

Bradford, West...
Level Contributor
509 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety of Air Travel

Go onto Amazon and buy these two book.

The first is called Flying Without Fear by Captain Keith Godfrey. He answered hundreds of questions from nervous fliers and what they are scared of. That will really help.

Another book I would reccommend is a book called The Flying Book: Everything You've Ever Wondered About Flying On Airplanes by David Blatner. This is a great read, I bought the book myself, although I am not scared of flying I found it very interesting about how an Airplane actually works and what happens during a flight!

Trust me you will be fine. The only reason Airplane crashes still make massive news is because they are so rare. Millions of flights happen all the time with no problem.

Sit back and enjoy your flight!

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety of Air Travel

Thanks so much, Yorkshire. I will definitely check into getting those two books. You have been a great help.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
835 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety of Air Travel

Sign up for the Virgin Atlantic Fear of Flying newsletters - they address the top 10 fears people have and explain them really well.

www.flyingwithoutfear.info/newsletter.htm

I'll say as well that flying is nothing to be fearful of, hopefully the anticipation of it will be far worse than actually carrying out the flight and then you'll become a relaxed traveller who enjoys flying! Get your husband to take you on more exotic holidays! ;-)

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
835 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety of Air Travel

Or indeed wife!

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety of Air Travel

This may help: http://www.anxieties.com/flying-howsafe.php

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety of Air Travel

You were right the first time--I have a husband : ) I'm afraid that one of the reasons that we don't fly when we travel is my fear of flying. Also, my fear of the COST of flying, lol.

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety of Air Travel

Thanks for both of these links. I will check them out right now.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety of Air Travel

You should stay awake worrying about dying on the drive to the airport , its 1000s of times more dangerous than the flight.

Anyway, what actually happens when you worry? I mean, it doenst *actually* scare you to death does it? If you sweat a bit and go white, well so what, go with the flow, that wont kill you either. Nothing wrong with being nervous..

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety of Air Travel

I'm with Joe on this one.

Flying is the safest per passenger mile of any transport. It is the ride to the airport that scares me.

You are not a first time flyer but in the 20 odd years there has been great progress in aircraft useage and safety.

You will be fine.

Trust me!

Bradford, West...
Level Contributor
509 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety of Air Travel

Make sure you post a response in how you have managed!