We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Noise canceling headphones

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Noise canceling headphones

Hi...I am headed to S. Africa Tue and will be taking at least 8 flights for the next 3 weeks. Everytime I take a flight I wonder if I should be wearing those headphones..are they worth it...which brand...there sure is a price difference...Bose (299) to Maxell for 29 dollars...would love some input!

UK
Level Contributor
101 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Noise canceling headphones

Hello

If you have the money i would definetly go for the Bose noise cancelling headphones- excellent piece of kit and well worth the money!

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,844 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Noise canceling headphones

They are the best travel investment you can make. I was amazed how much more relaxed I was the first time I used them on a eight hour (one stop) flight to Mexico.

There are three basic types:

Over-ear: Very large and your entire ear fits inside the cushoned ring. Supposedly the best seal against outside noise, but I have not tried.

On-ear: Not as large and the cushon rests on top of your ear. May not seal as well.

In-ear: Actually fit in your ear canal and typically don't cancel noise, but block it.

I first bought Sennheiser PCX-250s which were around $150. I like them, but could not sleep in them as I would knock them off every time I moved my head. I bought a pair of Sennheiser in-ear phones (can't remember the model #) that isolate noise much better, are more comfortable, and I can sleep in them. They were about $70. They come with three different size tips to fit your ears best. It took some getting used to, but I like them the best now.

I avoid Bose as I think a great deal of their cost is in the marketing.

I would recommend going over to flyertalk.com and searching their travel technology forum - there are tons of opinions on every type and brand (including some of my own).

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Noise canceling headphones

Check out the Sony range of in ear noise cancelling headphones. I have a set for my mp3 player - I can tell you that they are very comfortable & most importantly they work, even on a turbo prop aircraft in an overwing seat...............

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Noise canceling headphones

Just come back from some business class flights with American where they hand them out (unfortunately they take them back as well :-)

Makes a really big difference which you only appreciate when you remove them. The ones we had were the 2 inch on ear Bose models. I can only compare them to a reasonably expensive in-ear set I have which block the ear (but arent noise cancelling) and the difference is huge.

Ireland
Level Contributor
734 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Noise canceling headphones

The Sennheiser headphones are fantastic. Made watching in-flight movies a pleasure!

A great investment!

Joe

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Noise canceling headphones

Hi KG,

I've a pair of in ear Bose headphones (for my i-Pod) and a pair of QC3

(smaller overear phones) for plane travel...the QC3 are definately better in my view and very comfortable.

The over ear style/s IMHO are too big...you can risk looking dorky ;-) The QC3 are quite compact, much the same size as the rubbish phones you get from (some) airlines. A family member has a pair of Sennheiser (sp?) over ear and while they are also quite good...much too big I reckon.

You should atleast try them on by going to your local Bose store or other audio retailer. Over here you often are able to use them in store before purchase ...that's how it worked for the Sennheisers that my relative bought....they had a display of 6 or so different phones hooked up to some tunes.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Noise canceling headphones

We use the Bose model that completely covers the ear. They are excellent. The stress reduction - let alone the noise reduction - is noticeable. They should be standard equipment on long-haul flights!

We had an opportunity to compare our Bose headphones to another brand that was handed out (but taken back) on a BA flight from New York to London. We felt that the Bose worked better than the other brand, but either one was better than none at all..

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Noise canceling headphones

Thanks everyone....I have two back to back 10.5 hour flights twice...the noise of the plane just starts getting to me...I will get some....great advise!

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,299 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Noise canceling headphones

I have the Bose, as does my wife. 2 pieces of advice:

1> Don't get the QC3 model. Yes, they are a little lighter, but also rechargeable, which means if you forget to fill em up the night before, yer out of luck halfway thru the flight. Get the QC2, which uses a single AAA battery and a spare fits really nicely in the case pouch.

2> If you buy them via the Bose website you can pay out over 12 months interest free! (not sure if you can do same in stores)

10. Re: Noise canceling headphones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 07:19