We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Round the World ticket

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Topic
Round the World ticket

We are planning on a 6- 8 week round the world trip over Oct - Dec this year.

Starting from London, via Bangkok, Phuket, Hong Kong,Tokyo, Sydney, Hamilton Island Whitsundays, Hayman Island, Cairns, Fraser Island, Bora Bora, LA then home.

We have been quoted on a Global Explorer RTW ticket is this the best ticket option for us?

How many stops can you do and how does the price change if you do slightly less stops?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Round the World ticket

Have you looked at 'One World'?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,305 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Round the World ticket

Hard to say as you dont say what price you have been quoted. I think that you could do this trip with One World Alliance which includes Qantas, BA, American, JAL, Cathay pacific and LAN Chile and the cost would be about $3,500 AUD. And no you pay the same price under their system (unless you take more than the allocation- then you pay more). I think you would get all of your flights on the itinerary included for that price however you would probably drive to Fraser Island from Brisbane as it is only about 3 hours and is a really wonderful trip.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,124 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Round the World ticket

You also have to consider the overall mileage you are doing, and whether you are "backtracking". Most RTW tix also have a limit on number of stops, although Global Explorer might be the exception.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,305 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Round the World ticket

With OneWorld you can "backtrack" within the same continent- just not across oceans.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,484 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Round the World ticket

Your itinerary in that order seem to fit the oneworld Explorer rules.

In short once you've left a continent you can't go back to it, and once you've crossed an ocean, you can't recross it.

e.g. LHR-HKG-SIN-LHR-NRT is NOT permitted.

You don't get a discount for less stops. You are just limited to the number of miles on Global Explorer fares and segments on oneworld Explorers.

oneworld.com/ow/…global-explorer

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,589 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Round the World ticket

Just for fun go to bootsnall.com, try inputting your itinerary in their RTW trip planner and see what you get - it's all automated and if there is a cheaper routing it will tell you what it is.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Round the World ticket

You might find some of the info in this article helpful:

nytimes.com/2007/12/30/travel/30pracRTW.html…

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Round the World ticket

The global explore will probably be your best bet.The Oneworld alliance is the way to go because of the sectors in Australia which are covered by Qantas.

The one world explorer ticket could be cheaper however on that ticket you could not go to Bora Bora as the flight from Australia to Tahiti is a Qantas codeshare on Air Tahiti Niue.Codeshares on non OW metal are not allowed on the OW explorer tickets but are allowed on the Global Explorer ticket.For full rules go to www.oneworld.com

Also get your travel agent to price the ticket if issued by American Airlines who have a UK ticket office as you can often save a lot compared to BA or QF because of much lower fuel levies.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,352 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Round the World ticket

You may also find it useful to browse and ask questions on www.flyertalk.com

These guys are expert in travel and seem to know all the ins and outs of RTW travel!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Round the World ticket

Who have you spoken too? Since you're in London I'd recommend calling in at a Trailfinders if you haven't already.

They helped me 'shape' my RTW trip a few years ago. Have not looked closely since but the Star Alliance fitted my bill quite well. I had an awkward desire to get across the Pacific and Star Alliance joined this up quite well.

They also suggested doing Japan first and working down rather than Thailand etc then up and back down to Aus etc. (that particular point dropped my mileage a whole level and reduced cost too)

It is terrific thing to do. Though beware of trying to cram in too many stops if you're time poor otherwise you become very familiar with planes and airports and not the places you're trying to visit. Each transfer could easily kill 2-3 days of your intinerary if you're not well placed for your next hop.

Good Luck