We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Refunds due for BA/VS travellers - August '04-March '06

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,190 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Refunds due for BA/VS travellers - August '04-March '06

You may be eligible for a refund of one-third of your fuel surcharge if you bought:

-A BA or Virgin long-haul ticket

-In the UK or US

-Between 11 August 2004 and 23 March 2006

-Paid a fuel surcharge

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7246242.stm

Loyalty has its rewards!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Refunds due for BA/VS travellers - August '04-March '06

Anyone found how to claim yet???

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,190 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Refunds due for BA/VS travellers - August '04-March '06

It should take around 60days before we know more (thats in the article).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,331 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Refunds due for BA/VS travellers - August '04-March '06

Blimey. Nothing yet at ba.com - surprise, surprise - but I'm looking forward to following this up.

London, United...
Level Contributor
858 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Refunds due for BA/VS travellers - August '04-March '06

Virgin are setting up the following website to be operational from 7pm this evening

www.virginbapassengerrefund.co.uk.

Still nothing from BA though, no doubt they will make it more complicated!!

Apparently the lawyers who brought the class action suit have the BA & VA passenger lists for the entire period so we should only have to give our names to claim.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Refunds due for BA/VS travellers - August '04-March '06

From the Virgin Atlantic site.....

Virgin Atlantic has reached a provisional settlement relating to civil claims brought in a US Federal court concerning long haul passenger surcharges.

We began settlement negotiations after the case involving passenger fuel surcharges came to light.

Under the terms of the proposed settlement passengers who bought a ticket for a Virgin Atlantic flight, during the eligible time period, will be able to claim refunds of between £2 and £10 per flight - depending on the amount of fuel surcharge paid.

Details of the settlement and the claims process will be published by the claims administrator and on Virgin Atlantic’s website in due course.

If the court gives its final approval, anticipated in a matter of months, the proposed settlement process will go live.

No claims can be made until an independent claims administrator is appointed and the settlement receives final court approval.

Virgin Atlantic will not be directly involved in the claims or refund process. If you believe that you may be eligible to make a claim for a refund please do not call our contact centres because, until the settlement and the detail of the claims process are finalised and approved we are unable to give you any further information.

Virgin Atlantic deeply regrets its involvement in this matter and believes the provisional settlement reached now draws a line under this episode.

London, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Refunds due for BA/VS travellers - August '04-March '06

Just tried to access the site and its coming up blank???

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
39,044 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Refunds due for BA/VS travellers - August '04-March '06

I managed to register on www.airpassengerrefund.co.uk.

It let me fill out a form and gave me a Refund Reference Number.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,204 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Refunds due for BA/VS travellers - August '04-March '06

Thanks Bronia,

Got my claims in too. Five in all. I wonder what documentation they will want. I mean who keeps Etickets? (Just as well all my trips go onto CD for future reference!)

Scotland
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Refunds due for BA/VS travellers - August '04-March '06

Can I just ask a possibly silly question please? I'm not sure whether to register our claims individually or not - ie do you register each passenger or is it per booking? Hubby & I flew together but our Son will have a seprate claim?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,190 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Refunds due for BA/VS travellers - August '04-March '06

I wonder what documentation they will want. I mean who keeps Etickets?

________

I keep all my boarding passes, although the year isn't printed on them and I keep all my email confirmations in a separate travel folder in my inbox.

My BA Executive Club account only goes back three years, although due to the number of flights I've taken it only goes back to the end of 2006. I keep a log of my flights but for some it could be a pain.

I've registered for both the UK and the US sites since I emigrated midway through the period in question.

Just as a warning but only register through sites quoted in official press. Usually when these class action lawsuits come about a load of phishers jump on the back of it trying to get a hold of details. My wife received the recent foreign exchange surcharge class action suit details and then in email a few days later got all the scum jumping on the back of it. Beware!