We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Passport

I wanted to surprise my BF with a trip to Mexico, he does not have a passport. Any ideas, I could probably find his Birth Cer. Can I do it online for him? There is no rush on this trip, travel is in May. TKS

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,251 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport

No, he will need to apply for his own passport. Trying to do it for him is a serious offence.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport

Do you need a passport for the Bahamas?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,251 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport

'Fraid so. Just about anywhere if you are going by air.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,900 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport

Travel by air anywhere out of the USA needs a passport. You can go to Puerto Rico,without one as it is a USA Territory. He needs to take photos and sign the passport application himself so you cannot do it for him.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport

He has to present the information himself at a passport processing location (post office, city hall usually easiest). I'm assuming you don't look anything like him, and would be comitting a felony anyway, so not a good idea.

You could book the trip 4-6 weeks out, surprise him with the itinerary, then go straight to post office to apply for the passport. From reports they are back to about two weeks processing time.

travel.state.gov for details.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport

It is my philosophy that everyone should have an up-to-date passport regardless of travel plans. Who knows what may happen. You might win a trip to the Bahamas and be unable to take it because you do not have a passport. Could you encourage your BF to just get a passport as a matter of being prepared should opportunity come knocking? Since US citizens now have to have a passport to go to Mexico and Canada it just seems prudent to have one.

I would do this sooner rather than later. It has been taking a long time to get a passport, and I do not know if they are back to managing applications more efficiently.

Even should he suspect the gift of a trip from you, he would not be sure, and you would not have to reveal anything this early in your plans.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport

Great info from everyone and I appreciate it! I think telling him he needs a passport just incase is a good idea.

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport

Going to the US Virgin Islands this July, NO passport required.

That way you could still "surprise" him.

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
624 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport

No passport for Puerto Rico

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,033 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport

You could always get him to apply for his own passport, then not tell him where you are taking him. He still gets the surprise that way...