We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Business one way, coach returning?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
829 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Business one way, coach returning?

Ok, so I have a very strange question. Does anyone know if you can book travel with the seating in business on the outgoing flight, and coach returning, without having to purchase two separate one-way tickets? I and my mother will be traveling from Boston to Dublin, and I'd like to get business seats for the overnight flight going in the hopes that we can get some sleep, and coach for the daytime flight back.

Any thoughts?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,306 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Business one way, coach returning?

Not a strange question!

I don't think any of the main online TAs will allow you to do this online.

The only site I can think of that allows you to book mixed class travel online is Virgin Atlantic.

I'd be surprised if you weren't able to call the airline in question, or one of the online TAs and do this over the phone.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Business one way, coach returning?

There are some airlines that will allow it..you have to check out all your options on the carriers..you can start with the obvious, AerLingus..and I'd suggest getting business on the way back..it's always a longer flight:):) Enjoy!

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,268 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Business one way, coach returning?

It's absolutely possible and quite common, but as others have said not easy to do online.

Call the airline and do it that way.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,306 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Business one way, coach returning?

Although not much help in this case I should point out that for British Airways flights booked on BA.com if you pick the lower of the two classes at the initial stage you can upgrade each flight (or both) on the quote page. It lists it as 'Upgrade from just $322 outbound' or some such.

Sometimes it works out pretty nice as you can upgrade for just a few pounds when you thought it was going to be much pricier.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Business one way, coach returning?

Check the airline for details of their business/first/permier section. Haven't flown Aer Lingus trans-Atlantic for years but at that stage they didn't have anything like flat seats in Premier (they just do coach and Premier, Premier is a mix of business and first)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,836 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Business one way, coach returning?

I think the option speedbird is referring to with BA is to WT+. I have never seen it offered for Club.

But the airline will do it in most cases for a non online booking fee.

I just booked a five segment trip but had to take all segments in the same class even though three were relative hops.

But this post has given me cause to try and phone in a request to upgrade the two longer sectors. Thanks for that.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,306 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Business one way, coach returning?

I think the option speedbird is referring to with BA is to WT+. I have never seen it offered for Club.

It's available on all classes...although there is no upgrade from First to the flight deck *wink*

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,836 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Business one way, coach returning?

although there is no upgrade from First to the flight deck *wink*

If the silly b****rs do go on strike can I volunteer? I will do anything to protect my forthcoming holiday.

CGN
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Business one way, coach returning?

Yankee Travlr,

You can book different classes of service on AA web site. Just select Price & Schedule option and you get a display of all fares available for your dates. On your outbound flight you can choose Business Class and on your return you can choose Economy if they are available.

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
624 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Business one way, coach returning?

British Airways lets you buy a RT coach on their web site then before you buy you can upgrade single segements.