We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong Layover

Brisbane
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hong Kong Layover

Hi all. We are flying Qantas from Brisbane to Hong Kong, then a 6 hour layover, then Swiss Air to London via Zurich. Our luggage will be checked through. We are travelling in April, arriving HK 6.05pm leaving HK 11.30pm same night.

Does anyone know if we are allowed to leave the airport during this layover time? If possible we would like to visit a market that sells clothing etc. We only would like to shop for an hour or so then head back to airport.

If we have boarding passes already do we need to go through check in or just proceed straight to Customs/Immigration?

Will we need to pay departure tax again? I think it is included in our tickets but that may only apply if we remain in the airport. How much is HK departure tax?

Thank you for your time.

Auzkaz

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,019 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hong Kong Layover

Nothing to stop you leaving the airport provided you are allowed to enter Hong Kong from an immigration standpoint. I'm planning my first trip to Hong Kong in May and I get the impression that the city is about 25mins away on the airport express.

If you are checked in and have boarding passes for HKG-ZRH then you'll just need to go to security when you get back from the city. You won't need to clear customs if you are leaving the country, and I believe Hong Kong don't have outbound immigration procedures. Bear in mind that it is prime time departures for flights to Europe so security could be pretty busy.

The $120HKD departure tax is included in the ticket but since you are arriving and departing the same day you won't pay it.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hong Kong Layover

Personally I would spend the time in the airport! HKG is one big shopping complex with a couple of runways!

I wasn't overly impressed with the markets in Hong Kong, there are much better ones in other parts of Asia!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hong Kong Layover

The Airport Express train only stops at 3 stations. Tsing Yi (the outer burbs I guess you could say), Kowloon and Hong Kong (island). Prices vary accordingly.

From Kowloon Airport Express station you can in theory walk to Harbour City shopping plaza....it takes about 10-15 minutes. Ofcourse you could take a taxi instead. HC is not far from Sogo department store, The Peninsula and the Star Ferry terminal. You also get a nice view of HKI and the Peak (weather & smog permitting).

Hong Kong Airport Express station takes you to IFC Mall on Hong Kong island. IFC Mall is shopping on a smaller scale to HC. I would opt for Harbour City myself...check out their website for a list of retailers.

Personally I would not travel in to the city and back again in the time that you have. I would be inclined to stay at the airport AND also visit the Citygate outlet next door to the airport which has a reasonable selection of shops and a good food court (much better food than at the airport and so cheap!). You could also take the Ngong Ping cable car ride up to the Buddha and get a great view of Lantau Island.

It obviously depends on what type of shopping you plan to do....Harbour City covers all bases including alot of high end stuff. Citygate Outlets is similar to our Aussie DFOs (but much cheaper!) though they do have some designer gear as well (Burberry, Kate Spade, Ralph Lauren come to mind).

IMHO the markets in HK are no different than what you get at home and not worth the effort...but again, it depends on what you want to buy.

Good luck.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hong Kong Layover

A five minute taxi ride away is the Citygate Outlet shopping connected to the Novotel Citygate hotel..we stayed there and it is a big complex you would be bound to find something. Unless you are familiar with central Hong Kong I wouldn't recommend it for such a short time.

Your depature tax would be on your tickets you have purchased. When you do security & passport formalities at depature in Hong Kong they usually weigh and check carry on bag size, just in case you do lots of shopping!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hong Kong Layover

Thanks for your quick replies everyone. I would be just as happy to stay at airport but it is mainly my son who wants to go shopping. He is hoping to pick up some cheap Converse shoes and his other favourite brands like Industrie. Do you think there is enough teenage/mens shops at Citygate that might be what he is after to make the effort?

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hong Kong Layover

Here is the website for Citygate Outlets (it takes a while to load and then you need to click on 'directory'):

http://www.citygateoutlets.com.hk/index.html

There is no Converse outlet but there is Nike, Adidas, Puma, New Balance, Timberland & Quicksilver. Nor is there Industrie (though I don't recall seeing this in Kowloon or on HKI either).

I should have mentioned that it is possible to commute in to Kowloon WITHOUT using the Airport Express train from Tung Chung station (if you wanted to save money this is a decent option...but slower...and you would still need to get a taxi to Tung Chung from HKIA). All things considered I would still skip it and spend the time on Lantau and save Kowloon for another time...it's worth more than a few hours.

HTH

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hong Kong Layover

auzkaz..you'd be sure to find something for at Citygate...lots of outlet shops!

8. Re: Hong Kong Layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 20:16