We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATA bankrupt experience

Albuquerque
3 posts
Save Topic
ATA bankrupt experience

Does anyone have experience with ATA bankruptcy situation?

I purchased tickets with ATA for June trip to Kauai. First leg of trip was on Southwest to Oakland and then ATA to Kauai. So far I haven't been able to reach anyone at Southwest to find out if they will assist in making new reservations for all or part of this trip-- that is what I gather from their website. I only get a busy signal.

The other alternative seems to be to contact my credit card company and file a disputed charge claim and see what happens. This means I would make new travel plans myself. I don't want to put any more cash into this trip than necessary and certainly don't want to end up with extra tickets. Any input out there?

Dylpup

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,815 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATA bankrupt experience

If I were you I would see if I could cancel the transaction. If they get your money it is unlikley you will get anything back out of their bankruptcy.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ATA bankrupt experience

You probably need to talk to Southwest. If they issued the ticket they may work on getting you on another carrier, but they don't have any other partners. They may choose to refund your money instead.

Big thread on it over at FT. flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=808525

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,062 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATA bankrupt experience

I'd contact Southwest, see what they can do for you. Your best bet though is probably file a claim with your credit card company - that is if you paid with a cc. It's highly unlikely that if you were to rebook on another carrier, that you would find a fare for around the same as what you'd already paid, there are already reports of flights across to Hawaii shooting up.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATA bankrupt experience

I live across the San Francisco Bay from Oakland, and was watching news stories on a couple local television stations about ATA going out of business. One consumer expert they interviewed insisted that if you bought a ticket with a credit card, the credit card company would refund your money.

Having both Aloha and ATA go out of business at the same time has been causing lots of problems for people trying to get to Hawaii from the Bay Area. American and United Airlines are charging (gouging?) $1500 to fly between the Bay Area and Hawaii. That's almost triple the normal price.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,343 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATA bankrupt experience

Did you buy from ATA or Southwest? That makes a HUGE difference in this case. If you purchased from SW, SW will help you with the whole trip. If you bought from ATA they may not as they are just providing the codeshare on a leg.

If you purchased from ATA, I would go right to the CC company or your Trip Insurance provider. For SW, since they are still a valid vendor, your CC company will insist you reach them at least once before procsssing a claim.

I'll assume you didn't use a travel agent.

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
624 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATA bankrupt experience

I just read an article in today's Honolulu Advertiser (large daily paper) that quoted Southwest as saying they will try to find other carriers and foot the bill for the difference. see www.honoluluadvertiser.com

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,815 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATA bankrupt experience

I think the key information in Southwest's press release is that they will rebook every passenger who purchased a ticket from Southwest.

I did not see any committment in the statement that Southwest will take care of passengers who purchased tickets from ATA.

They repeat the phrase "Southwest ticketed passengers" throughout the statment.

The OP said he purchased tickets with ATA. If that is the case I don't think Southwest will take resposibility for codeshare customers.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,343 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATA bankrupt experience

That was the point of my question. I have confirmed that if your ticket was purchased via ATA, the only thing SW is committing to is adjusting any tickets on their legs to adapt to changes on the former ATA leg. Everything else is subject to availability and SW purchased tickets will be given preference.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,815 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATA bankrupt experience

Yes Loonbeam, I agree with what you wrote.

I was responding to the poster who indicated Southwest announced they would help ATA customers.

I believe you and I are in agreement that if the OP purchased from ATA Southwest is unlikely to get them to Hawaii.

Agreed?

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,343 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATA bankrupt experience

Agreed! Just wanted to add the additional information really.