We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schipol Airport - checking in

Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Schipol Airport - checking in

To come home(the US) from Prague I am thinking about booking two separate tickets to save money. one from Prague to Amsterdam arriving at 8:10 am and then a flight leaving Amsterdam at 10:55 am. Will I have time to check in and get luggage checked and go through security? Thank you.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,921 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Schipol Airport - checking in

Are you looking for one night in Amsterdam? If so, you could probably save money by booking a layover of under 24 hours on one ticket. If you go over 24 hours it will be considered a stop and the price goes up. You don't mention your airline, but I am assuming KLM and partners. There is an 8:00 flight to Detroit on Northwest that would give you 23:50 in AMS and count as a layover.

It can be difficult to book this online as most booking engines don't like to book overnight layovers. Orbitz will often do it if you use the departure time to force the overnight connection, but it might be tough with the early arrival in AMS. Might be a good time to pay the $10 booking fee to do it on the phone.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Schipol Airport - checking in

If you are on separate tickets you the risk of getting the shaft at AMS if you flight is delayed.

You won't be protected on that connection. If your PRG-AMS flight is on time I'd say you are fine.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,921 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Schipol Airport - checking in

I completly misread the OP thinking it was an overnight. Ignore my post above, unless you do decide to spend a day in AMS.

Traveler from...
Level Contributor
207 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Schipol Airport - checking in

We missed our plane back to Detroit last year. We had an overnight layover so had to check our bags before our flight home. We got to the Schipol airport 3 hours early and due to the bombing in Glasgow, didn't make it though security in time to get to our gate.

Not that this will happen to you, but its always a possibility.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,921 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Schipol Airport - checking in

Now that my coffee has kicked in and I can think, there should be no need to check luggage in AMS. Again I'm making an assumption you are flying KLM, Czech, NW, Continental or Delta - all of whom are members of Skyteam and can interline your luggage. It looks like both KLM and Czech operate AMS-PRG, but there is no need to claim your luggage in AMS regardless of which you fly. Just make sure they check it through to your final destination. You will have to claim it for customs at your first stop in the US. They should even be able to print your boarding pass for your US bound flight in PRG - otherwise just stop at a transfer desk. 2.5 hours is plenty of time in AMS.

DC
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Schipol Airport - checking in

If you're checking bags, the problem is that you'll have to get your bags and then go to check-in. On this side of the pond, they usually want international bags two hours before departure and I don't see how you could make that.

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Schipol Airport - checking in

Hi there.

Is the saving worth it?

When you have a delay on the Prague - Amsterdam flight, you will not be happy with the misery you will end up in.....it s a big risk to travel on non-guaranteed connections these days....

For a few dollars I would not risk it....

Regards

Wiki

Singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Schipol Airport - checking in

Any chance you can book a later flight from Schipol???

9. Re: Schipol Airport - checking in

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 10:24