We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

american internal flights and airlines

perth
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Topic
american internal flights and airlines

just wanting to know what the story is with some american airlines in australia we only hear some of the reports ie airlines cancelling flights due to maintance issues and other airlines closing down due to petrol costs too high etc. im just wanting to know is there any airline better then the others that would be safer and less likly to have financial issues for internal flights around america or is it all abit of a over hype reported over here in a link to the american economy?thanks

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,698 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: american internal flights and airlines

"or is it all abit of a over hype "

Yes.

Several airlines DID have problems with canceled flights when the government regulators had them do some safety checks. American Airlines and Delta Airlines in particular were affected due to the specific aircraft they use. But that's ended now.

Yes, several small carriers have gone out of business. But as you're probably aware, the USA is a huge country,with quite a few major airlines that have no real probablity of going out of business soon.

We have American Airlines, United, UsAirways, Delta, Continental, Northwest, Southwest, and various subsidiary of the above in addition to smaller airlines here and there.

If you have a question about a specific airline once you start to make your plans you can always ask.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
353 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: american internal flights and airlines

Kodi, I heard the same things as you before I travelled to the states but I can say that on numerous trips to the states and several internal flights I have never had an issue. I have used American, Continental and America West and all flights were pretty standard - although nothing too special, you won't get an inflight meal or anything like that. But the flights were on time, my luggage was never lost and the airline staff were mainly pretty friendly.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: american internal flights and airlines

Well just think of australia kodi.Ansett and compass x 2 have gone belly up,deathstar,virgin and tiger all cancel flights yet no one would tell a tourist to not risk air travel in Australia.The USA has nearly 20 times our population so way more flights so greater numbers are cancelled.most still go and reasonably close to time.I travel on AA and when things have gone wrong they have been fantastic at getting things back on track.

Both United an now AA on their websites show proportion of on time departures for various flights-just do a dummy booking to see.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: american internal flights and airlines

You mentioned safety issues in regards to the aircraft in the US. Let me assure you, they are very safe so don't worry on that account.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,177 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: american internal flights and airlines

While I agree with most of what is said above, I would have to add that we also do have a select few airlines that seem to outperform others. I'm talking about lines like jetBlue, Virgin America, Midwest, Alaska, Continental* and Southwest. Our legacy carriers (Delta, Northwest, United and American) usually have more problems due to labor and financial issues.

* Continental is considered legacy too, but seems to have fewer operational problems - they also have a very young fleet.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,698 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: american internal flights and airlines

"While I agree with most of what is said above, I would have to add that we also do have a select few airlines that seem to outperform others. I'm talking about lines like jetBlue, Virgin America, Midwest, Alaska, Continental* and Southwest. Our legacy carriers (Delta, Northwest, United and American) usually have more problems due to labor and financial issues.

* Continental is considered legacy too, but seems to have fewer operational problems - they also have a very young fleet."

But I'm not sure you can reasonably make some of those comparisons. How, for example, do you compare the performance of Virgin America, which only services 7 cities and has existed for less than a year, with an airline like American with 4,000+ flights a day? As for JetBlue, the thousands of people stranded during their "Valentines Day Meltdown" at JFK last year might not be singing THEIR praises. And I'm curious as to what kind of labor problems Delta has experienced and how it's affected their operations...

I don't think any of them are "better" than the other - legacy or LCC, they're all subject to various issues at various times. The good news is that the vast majority of time the passenger is going to get where they're supposed to get, when they're supposed to get there. The few that don't usually join Tripadvisor and make one post lol.

Sausalito
Level Contributor
138 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: american internal flights and airlines

If you fly a lot in Oz and use Qantas, then I'd say the US domestic air service suffers a bit by comparison. If you fly a lot in Oz and use Tiger or Virgin Blue, then the US LCCs are about the same.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: american internal flights and airlines

kodi12 - where are you flying in the US? Your destination will determine which airline to take as all airlines do not service all markets.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,320 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: american internal flights and airlines

> As for JetBlue, the thousands of people stranded during their "Valentines Day Meltdown" at JFK last year might not be singing THEIR praises.

The difference is that JetBlue has learned from this experience, something the legacy carriers seem incapable of doing.

In every JB office, there is a calendar turned to Feb 2007 with the 14th circled. They are determined never to let that happen again, and have taken major steps to make sure it doesn't.

10. Re: american internal flights and airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 12:19