We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking stick as carry-on?

Breezy Point, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Walking stick as carry-on?

IIn 10 days, am flying JFK to CDG, then on to Marseille. Unfortunately, I just injured my knee and bought a collapsing walking stick to assist as needed on my tour. I checked the TSA website and canes are allowed as carry-on, but ski poles are not.....walking sticks are not mentioned. Since it is collasping, I can carry it in my checked luggage, but may need it for the journey through the various airports. Does anyone know the scoop on this ? Should I take a chance of taking it through security and then have it confiscated 'cause it looks more like a ski pole? Or should I just pack it and hobble my way through?

Any suggestions ... thank you for your help.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,626 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking stick as carry-on?

Tell them you need it for medical reasons and that should be sufficient.

England
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking stick as carry-on?

I always travel with my folding walking stick and have never had any problems. I usually fold it up and put it in one of the trays to go through xray.

Southampton
Level Contributor
2 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking stick as carry-on?

I have never had any problems either. I use a folding stick - sometimes two! I need it to walk through security, but they usually seem to find a way to deal with this.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking stick as carry-on?

not a problem ever for me.

I pop my stick in the tray to go through the xray.Then hold onto my travelling companion whilst it is going through.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking stick as carry-on?

Hi

Found this older thread about 'walking' sticks. Could anyone advise me on hiking sticks. The set of two you use to help you when walking up hills. I did my knee in a couple of years ago and the good old arthritis set in. Its not 'bad' but gets grumpy if I do too much walking. When planning our trip to USA I though I would get a stick to help - went to the shops and thought I was being smart by getting two sticks for less than the price of one (sales time!). But not so smart - they won't collapse down far enough for me to pack into my luggage - can you carry them on - I am travelling Air NZ and United.

cheers

Kiwi

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,860 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking stick as carry-on?

there was a recent post on 'Trekking Poles' on Tanzania forum. Concensus seems to be you are ok taking them through security as long as the points are not too sharp (which they are'n't.) Ski Poles have a much longer point.

Massachusetts
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking stick as carry-on?

Does anyone know if a non-folding walking stick (prescribed by a doctor) can be taken into the cabin as a carry-on item?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,466 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking stick as carry-on?

Hi,

If it's a mobility assistance device then yes, it get preferential treatment as far as accommodation onto the aircraft also it will not be counted as a piece of hand carry allowance if applicable...

It still has to be screened and meet TSA standards and must be stored in an approved location once on-board, but since you say it's a "folding" model, I'll assume that it can be easily collapsed into a reasonable length..

Travel Safe,

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking stick as carry-on?

I ditto the above response,my mother travels that way all the time and never had a problem.

10. Re: Walking stick as carry-on?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2010, 05:25