We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airline gift certificate as a wedding gift?

California
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
airline gift certificate as a wedding gift?

i have a friend who lives in london (but whose family is in new jersey) who is getting married soon. my friends and i were thinking of getting her an airline gift certificate as a wedding gift so that she can either go home or go somewhere fun in europe. any ideas? i've looked on british airways but they don't seem to offer gift certificates. and continental requires that you redeem gift certificates from the states. any ideas? thanks!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,719 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airline gift certificate as a wedding gift?

I believe American Express has a prepaid travel card that can be used as a gift card for most travel services - that way the happy couple can plan/choose their own airline.

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
618 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airline gift certificate as a wedding gift?

The main problem with AMEX and Visa gift cards is that not all airlines allow you to use them on their websites to book tickets. So you need to use a travel agency. It may cost a bit more but be better to give a gift certificate to a travel agency. Even though there may be a fee to book, you can at least use it.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,795 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: airline gift certificate as a wedding gift?

Cash or check would be better IMO. You may end up giving them a card for an airline that is twice as expensive as another and becomes a bad deal. Or maybe they want to take a driving/train trip. Or save for a house............. You basically end up exchanging a 100% liquid asset that can be used anywhere to one with many restrictions, can't be returned/exhanged and may come with fees.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: airline gift certificate as a wedding gift?

I agree with Tev. What happens if the gift certificate is worth more than the airfare. They'r out the difference.

Give cash or check. Then let the couple find their best deal. No restrictions, no gimmicks, no hidden fees or expiration dates on cash.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: airline gift certificate as a wedding gift?

what a lovely idea,turtle.

I would love to receive that.

if you give cash or cheque to some people, they unfortunately may end up using it on something else though!!

6. Re: airline gift certificate as a wedding gift?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 23:19