We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Minute Schedule Change by Airline

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
460 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Last Minute Schedule Change by Airline

We booked and paid for roundtrip tickets Phoenix to Quito through LAX and Bogata on 10/28/07. We are scheduled to leave a week from Thursday, 5/22/08. Orbitz has called and informed us that the last leg of our trip on 6/3/08 our US Air flight from LAX to PHX has been changed a rerouted through Vegas. We will have less time to get from our BOG to LAX flight to our new Vegas flight and have to change planes in Vegas and get home more than two hours later than originally planned. Do we have any options other than taking what Orbitz and US Air has offered? Seems a big inconvenience after such a long trip. Our new arrival time will be after 1AM. I guess it could be worse, but what if they think up other changes between now and then. We did put extra days at the beginning and end of our cruise to accommodate such an occurrence, but we are not happy at this late date. Have they bumped us off a still existing flight? I see other airlines have straight through flights at the same time as our original. What would be our options to switch to another airline for our last leg of the trip? We were on hold with Orbitz in India last evening for an hour with no resolution.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks, rastawoman

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Last Minute Schedule Change by Airline

Changes happen all the time and two hours is not that major. If there are other options you can call and ask if they will give you different flights - it is best to research yourself and ask for exactly the flights you want. Very doubtful they will move you to another carrier for only a two hour change. You might also be better off calling US directly instead of going through Orbitz.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last Minute Schedule Change by Airline

I agree with the previous response.

Particularly on an itinerary like yours where it's a destination that has less all around service a 2 hour change isn't really much. I know it seems inconvenient, but it could be so much worse.

Airlines aren't obligated to move you to another airline, just to their next available flight which sounds like what they did. Unless you can find another US flight that's more convenient, this might be your best option.

Hope you enjoy the trip!

Nebraska
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Last Minute Schedule Change by Airline

If I would of known you were going to use Orbitz I would of told you don't, I rented a van from them once and it ended up being a piece of crap van and the alignment was off on the van, it got me from A to B, but what a piece of crap.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,013 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last Minute Schedule Change by Airline

hi

Orbitz didn't rent you a van they only facilltated the transaction between you and rental company.

the car rental co is who you should be mad at.

why did you accept van in such condition?

the last time I rented a car went to check out car walked around found lots of little dents

wrote everyone down then got in only had 1/2 tank of gas. went back inside gave them keys and said give me different car they did no problem.

it is ok to be angry but be angry at write person.

Nebraska
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Last Minute Schedule Change by Airline

I'm not angry, you can't hear my tone of voice so you assume I'm angry, Orbitz set me up with a rental company that had a lot full of bad vehicles, so what ever vehicle they put me in I would have rated it as a bad vehicle, my fault for not being more clear.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
460 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last Minute Schedule Change by Airline

Hi George,

Are you stalking me? Thank you for your comment on Orbitz. This is our first and last time using them. I am more disappointed in their lack of customer service than anything else. I had heard it was good so thought I would give it a try. Their employees in India have fake American names and are limited to canned answers that go nowhere. I work in a call center atmospere and saying "I can help" and not helping is a great diservice to our customers. The centers in India have limited knowledge of the geography we are dealing with. I feel sorry for them. I will wait to get back to make any further comments as I don't want to be pushed out a cockpit door over the Andes.

rastawoman

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
460 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last Minute Schedule Change by Airline

While we are at it, what do you think of the timing of our layover? If the plane arrives on time, 7:30PM, can we get our bags, get through immigration,take a shuttle from terminal 2 to terminal 1 and make a 9:10PM flight? I hardly think so. I have checked US Air and that is their last flight of the day. If we miss it we would have to spend the night in LAX. I see a later Southwest flight straight through to Phoenix and am tempted to purchase the $48.00 one way ticket on my own. Obviously no refund from Orbitz. They will refund the entire trip and rebook it at a $900.00 increase from our existing booking for which they have had our money for six months. Nice.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,801 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last Minute Schedule Change by Airline

Rastawoman - Your problem is certainly a major problem on the list of world calamities (right up there with the Myanmar and China natural disasters). Perhaps if you had picked a better quality airline this sort of thing might not be so catastrophic.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last Minute Schedule Change by Airline

There was an article in the May 15 San Francisco Chronicle about airlines rescheduling their flights, and the resulting problems for passengers. The main point of the story was that it's becoming pretty common, and if you're a passenger, there's not much you can do about it.

It said the best way to avoid the problem was to book with an airline like Southwest or JetBlue that tend to fly directly between destinations without stopping at a hub.

And it's always fun to talk to someone with a deep Indian accent whose says his name is "Bob Smith."

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Last Minute Schedule Change by Airline

I guess I should have included the link to the article. Hope it works...

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi…